Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Bearings

I guess this is the right section..

Ok, my alternator is squeaking like crazy before it's nice and warmed up. Well I don't like that. It's f'n embarrassing.

Btw, the alternator works fine. It's almost a year old. Almost.

Anyone ever change out the bearings of an alternator?

I'm gonna pull it apart to see what I'm up against, I'd just like some forewarning if there's something that I'm likely to break while doing so. Or any helpful tips of course.

TEAM C6V6

Re: Alternator Bearings

didn't you get a year warn. with it? just trade it in.
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

An alternator is something I don't tear apart. They're not expensive and they're easy to replace. Disposable item IMO.
      Red 96' A4 Firebird
      Audio Audio and Autotek
      Check it out here!

Comment

I would agree. Just get a new one and be done with it.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Look. Bearings are $5-$10 bucks vs $100+ for an alternator. No one answered my question. If any of you guys are willing to give me a 100 bucks since that's "not expensive" then sure, I'll get a new alternator.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

never done it before, but i know you have to heat it up and use a puller to get them off.

i think most people are saying to get a new alternator because well.. personally i wouldnt trust installing new bearings in it

BUT, something you need to know, usually bad bearings in an alternator can and most likely will mess up other things like bad wear on the pulley.

you need to make sure it isnt damaged in any way before you do that, or it is going to cost you even more money

Comment

If you've never done it how could you not trust installing new bearings?

I'm just gonna figure it out myself, doesn't seem very hard. I change out big bearings on fedex trailers every day.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

If it is only a year old there should be a warranty on it. I believe Autozone gives lifetime warranties IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by J.T. View Post
                  If it is only a year old there should be a warranty on it. I believe Autozone gives lifetime warranties IIRC.
                  Didn't buy it from autozone.

Either way, it doesn't matter. I asked about bearings but only one person actually responded to the actual question.

Anyways, I put a new belt on and the squeak stopped. cheaper belts wear out and stretch faster apparently. I found a 61in gatorback I had to order online because no local stores carry them. If this belt stretches too quickly I'll be looking into a new tensioner.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I've done bearings in older GM alternator's. It's easy for the most part and no I've never had to heat them to remove or install them, the press fit in the housing is tighter that on the shaft. On my 91 Corsica I had to un- soldier the field coil to dis assemble it. That was a PITA.
                    sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X