digital odometre fading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital odometre fading

My '98 Firebird has a digital odometre that has faded in recent days and is now all but invisible. I was able to, in the right angle and lighting, barely make it out today and it is still counting up the mileage but it is pretty much invisible. The rest of the dash lights up just fine, just the digital readout. Anyone else deal with this issue?
    98 Firebird<br />94 S-10 Blazer<br />92 Bonneville SSEi<br />80 Monza Spyder<br />79 Buick Road Hawk

Re: digital odometre fading

Pretty sure you can replace the cluster with nothing special. I think the info is stored in the PCM. Grab one off eBay for 40 bucks and throw it in, the PCM gives it's read out on the digital area.
    EDIT: Looks like they're a little more expensive:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...spagenameZWDVW

You could probably find a 150mph trans am one though. Anyone know if he could just throw that in and have it read properly?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...spagenameZWDVW
    Last edited by 96firebird311; 09-24-2008, 08:36 AM.
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

i thought if you changed the cluster the reading went with it?
      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
      1991 3000GT VR4
      2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Damn, I have to replace my whole instrument cluster for one digital readout fading ... ouch!!!
        98 Firebird<br />94 S-10 Blazer<br />92 Bonneville SSEi<br />80 Monza Spyder<br />79 Buick Road Hawk

Comment

The reading does go with the cluster. If you change the cluster you will have the odometer reading of the new cluster. You can however put your read out in the new cluster and that will keep your mileage the same, but it's the problem to start with not having the back light.

The 150 MPH cluster will work, however your tach will be about 2 times the RPM and your oil gauge will read 20 PSI low all the time.
          sigpic

Comment

call gm and see what they have to say?
            2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
            1991 3000GT VR4
            2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
              The reading does go with the cluster.
              Ok. Back when I was looking to do something similar, folks on here told me the reading was stored in the PCM/BCM. If you sure it's not, I'm probably mistaken.
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
                Ok. Back when I was looking to do something similar, folks on here told me the reading was stored in the PCM/BCM. If you sure it's not, I'm probably mistaken.
                I've changed clusters and just changed the odometer in the cluster and the mileage didn't revert to what the original cluster had.
                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X