Another electric problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another electric problem...

the problem: when I turn ignition key, the headlighs flip up (and stay up while driving). When I use my turn signals; they headlights flip and down in sync with the signals.

I recently changed the flasher could this be causing it to happen?
    Is it bad grounds, and if so how do I clean them?

Re: Another electric problem...

When you turn your headlights on, does the brighter filament of the blinkers come on steady?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

YES!! the left turn signal does stay on when i turn on my headlights

that one's been giving me trouble for a few months now. I was thinking of taking out the flasher replacement i got from autozone and see if the problem stops. I'm now on my 2nd flasher relay - the first one blew out in 3 days.

So overall, this problem happened a total of 4 starts today. (2 without cranking the engine, just turning ignition on)

I should also add that I did not take the flasher out yet, however i started it twice tonight, and both times no problems.
      Last edited by Nbajwill55; 08-31-2008, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Ok, now, does this happen with either turn signal, or is it just the left side? Also, do you get the same effect when the hazard lights are on, or only the turn signals?

And just to get things straight, your headlights are popping up, but they are not turning on, correct?

I also realized that I am assuming you have a 98+ firebird with DRLs, is this correct?
        Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 09-01-2008, 03:27 AM.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

When I start the ignition the headlights both pop up, but the light bulbs do not come on.
          When I turn the switch to turn on the headlights only the left turn signal stays illuminated on the dashboard.
          Sorry, I didn't think to check the hazards... I'll Try it though when it happens again (I'm at work today).

And yes, I have a 98 firebIrd with DTRs. However the left signal has been giving me problems for awhile. The bulbs always burn out within 2 days of replacing them. I assumed it was due to moisture.

Thanks so much again for helping

Comment

Yes, the bulbs burning out makes sense, as it seems the only way power is getting to the headlight motors through the turn signal is through the actual bulb, so it is pulling extra current; much more than the filament is meant to handle. But if it starts acting up again, if you could, to eliminate other possibilities, remove the left turn signal bulb and see if it happens still, possibly drive around like that for a bit to see if it comes back.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X