manual to power windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual to power windows?

Is it possible and or difficult to go from manual to power windows? I have a 98 camaro and it is the one thing that really bugs me. Oh and if it is possible where can I get the parts?

Thanks,
    Gonzo

Re: manual to power windows?

Theres alot of aftermarket kits out there...

They arent the best way to go, and isnt an easy task to install either.

Summit Kit - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=power+window

But if you wanted to go with the stock F-body parts, you'd need harness's, window switches and the little panel they sit in, you'd need new door panel bottom's unless you wanted a hole from the crank.

You'd need the motors, actuators etc..

Best bet is probably finding a Junk yard with a f-body and getting all the parts from them, but...

It's not going to be easy, and its not cheap.
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

That was possibly the fastest response I have ever gotten on this forum. Thanks for the advice. I will most likely go looking for a junk yard with some f bodies tomorrow and look at how much it might cost and what it would take to get it done. Just out of curiosity what is wrong with the after market kits?

Thanks again,
      Gonz

Comment

Pssshhh.... sell the car and buy another one with power windows...
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by robgonz View Post
          Just out of curiosity what is wrong with the after market kits?

Thanks again,
          Gonz

From my experience, they are nowhere near as strong as they should be, especially for the big f-body windows.

After a short period of time, they start to squeel, and go really slow.
          They need to be oiled or greased alot and not to mention mounting the motors is more complicated because the brackets arent already there for you like when installing factory f-body motors.

My car didnt have power windows, and I didnt mind.. I actually prefered the manual crank, after seeing all these people that have power and the motors are frying up so fast.

But it's all personal preferance.

You can get some more info on this if you search "power window conversion"
          *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

I have a 99 Camaro with manual windows, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The motor will NEVER go out on those! My sister has a 96 Firebird with power windows, and both sides are agonizingly slow now, and she's already had the passenger window motor replaced one time (by my dad, and it was hell). Keep with the manual windows and feel blessed!

Comment

I did the manual to power conversion on my car. I did locks, trunk, and windows. The window kit I got from autoloc. It has been on there for 7 years now with no problems at all. The door lock and trunk actuators I got from dei. I used factory door lock and window switches that i got from a junk yard. I also added factory fog lights too. I spent a lot of time and money doing all of this, but it was definitely worth it to me.
              2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
              Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X