Electrical Issue with Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Issue with Dash

Ok...you will have to bear with me, as I am no electronics guru.

When I purchased my Camaro last week, I checked the fuse box, and sure enough, most of the fuses were not correctly set. I purchased a fuse kit and reset them all to factory settings. Since then, I have been experiencing some random electrical issues.

First of all, the radio, since I purchased it, turns on/off randomly. It is an aftermarket install from the previous owner. This is actually what porompted me to start checking fuses in the first place.

Since replacing the fuses, my OBD connector has lost/regained power, my wipers have lost power, my instrument panle no longer has power (except for the SES light), and the AC/Heater controls randomly lose power.

So far, everything else works as far as electronics.

So, I have decided to start troubleshooting and need some advise/criticism/spanking...whichever...

Ok...since all of these device share a common ground point (first figure below), I figured that I would start there. I need to know how to locate the ground wire in the picture below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom.JPG
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1541261

Once I locate this ground wire, I can see if it is touching anthing other than what it should be (I hope).

Also, since the radio was an aftermarket install, I am sure that the previous owner did a nice ghetto job rigging it up and just connected wires where he could just to make it work. So, the radio wires will be checked as well.

Also, when before I replaced all of the fuses, I noticed that the 5A I/P Dimmer fuse was missing. I have since put one in, but in troubleshooting, found that it is receiving no power. In the Image below, you will see the i/P Simmer fuse and switch. The switch goes to the same ground wire that all of the other components in the previous pitcture do as well.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.JPG
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1541262

So...in all, I want to check the ground wire in the first image, the radio wiring harness, and the I/P Dimmer (what the hell is this anyways?) on the fuse block.

Can anyone assist, or should I just set fire to the car and claim insurance?

Re: Electrical Issue with Dash

Instrument panel dimmer is my guess. Believe it's on the far left side of the dash, right next to your headlight switch.

I would start by taking off every dash panel you can. Look for obvious hack jobs. Rather than trying to troubleshoot on paper, get your nose in there first. A loose fray wire barely making contact can give you some real odd indications sometimes. A huge ball of wiring nastiness can do the same thing.
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X