weird problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird problems

so today I am heading to work, car started fine, drove fine for about 30 minutes. then it started to give a slight buck when i stopped at the lights. felt like a car does before it stalls. No, stall just the slight bucking when i stopped, i also felt a bit of a lack of power when i stepped on the gas. When I press harder on the pedal the car drives fine, as soon as i stop the bucking comes back, and i hear a ticking sound. I finally get to work.

After work, I am driving and the buck is still there when i stop, the tick is consistent, and i also noticed that there seems like a drain on my battery. It will be just above 13, then drop under 13 and my lights start to dim a bit, then it goes back up. It does this over and over again while i am waiting for the light to change. My, I am guessing, "service engine soon" light just came on as well and stayed solid. Just showed a picture of an engine.

I am wondering if it is maybe the alternator, and if so, is there a how to on how to replace it on here? I tried the search feature but couldn't find a decent thread for it. I will keep looking, but if some one could help me figure out what this could be please let me know.
    sigpic

Re: weird problems

was your a/c on?
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

no. my top was down.
      sigpic

Comment

so, I figured out the problem. bad wire on the spark plug. now i just have to figure out how to change the spark plug in this car. I can barely see them, let alone access them.
        sigpic

Comment

you dont have tubular manifolds on your 99?
          01 Firebird A4 3.42
          Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
          and other mods
          Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by Windcharger99 View Post
            so, I figured out the problem. bad wire on the spark plug. now i just have to figure out how to change the spark plug in this car. I can barely see them, let alone access them.
            This sound almost similar and it happened to my '89 bird, and it was the alternator going bad. And since the alternator was going bad it my battery was draining quickly.

The alternator is not too terrible to remove. Just remove the belt first by turning the tensioner clockwise. Unplug the cable behind the alternator and there should be 2 bolts that you can unscrew in order to remove it.

You can take the alternator Pepboys, I think, or Autozone and have them check it out or test it.

Spark Plugs and Cables:

Like Grayman said, you probably have a tubular on your '99. Which will make it somewhat easy to spot the plugs. If you don't then you have to remove the heat shield. You can change two plugs on top, but the other 4 would have to be blow your car. Be prepare to have your hands scrapped.

PM me if you're interested in changing your plugs and wires and I'll give you a complete write up on how to do this.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Check the codes to see if it was a misfire, then the battery when off and then with it running with a volt meter, if it is fine, I would check your vacuum lines to make sure none have popped off and no cracks.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

usually if its a misfire, the engine light will blink instead of staying fully lit

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X