Optima overrated? urgent i guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima overrated? urgent i guess

I just got back from hawaii and was greeted by a truck that wont start. After stealing the battery out of my sister's car, I know that the problem is my optima yellow top. I would keep my sisters battery, but it doesnt really fit in the battery tray.

I had the yellow top in the truck, and i have a red top in my camaro. I am tempted to just go buy another red top for the truck. Partially because its what I have used previously, and partially because that is what fits perfectly in the tray (tray was custom).
    Is it worth paying the $150 or whatever it is?
    2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
    2006 S60- Sold
    2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Re: Optima overrated? urgent i guess

im sorry but optima is garbage, i went threw 2 red tops one in my old t/a and one in the rs. murrays auto stopped carrying them but they had to still honor the 3 year free replacement warranty and i received an orbit ( i believe its called) gel battery and its been good to me so far

Comment

Thats funny. I had an orbit in my camaro that i thought was crap :p
      I ended up just buying the red top. pepboys bent me over
      2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
      2006 S60- Sold

Comment

i can see having one red top go bad on me but not 2 in less than 2 years. ive only had the orbit battery for around 6 months now and its done the job so far specially with all the stereo equipment i have. ive never heard anything bad about yellow tops though

Comment

I got a almost new yellow top for free:banana: no problems yet also i have a system.
          Its been 2 years.
          is there a difference between yellow and red top?

-Y87
          Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

yellow top is a deep cycle battery...
            2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
            2006 S60- Sold

Comment

red top is standard
              Y87 Package
              MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
              Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
              BONE APPROVED!
              VANBIBBER APPROVED!
              KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
              Team Black...TEAM EMO
              sigpic
              Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

I have always used red tops without any problems. I never tried a yellow top before.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

my old red top in my car is probably 6 years old, my old roommate put it in his 86 vette because it was old and probably had 2 or 3 different constant draws. He used it for 2 years then when he was getting rid of the vette I talked him into swapping it with my Delco from the bird before bringing it to the guy who was buying the vette, I have been running it since, no major electrical mods just one kenwood amp pushing a 10"JL.

When the wife's car battery died I put one in it, turns out it was a bad one though and had to go back and get another. The first one had obviously been sitting on a shelf for a LONG time, lady at pep boys told me they could not properly test them because they aren't wet cell so she just gave me the next one on the shelf, it was obviously newer.

I'd say with these kinds of batteries you have to watch what you get because so many people don't want to pay the money for them you might just get one that has sat up too long. Anyway I consider them cheap insurance, when the wife's alternator went out a month ago I know the optima was what got her home.

edit: just added it up and that thing is closer to 8 years old
                  -Brad
                  98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                  2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                  If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                  :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X