Optima Red Top Battery Smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima Red Top Battery Smoking?

I raplaced my firebirds battery with my camaros Optima Red Top battery. The Optima was sitting for around a year without any use. It would not start the camaro when i tried so i put the firebird battery in the camaro and it started. I put the optima in my car and had it sit with jumper cables to get a good charge on it. I got the firebird to start and it was working fine. A couple hours of it sitting there went by and the battery was dead again. I charged it over night with a car battery charger and not jumping it. It charged overnight and during the next day. It started up and ran fine. I figured I would drive it around for awhile and just see if when i turned it off later on it would star again or not. Pretty much, it ran fine but then started smelling so I got out and the battery had smoke coming out of it from two small circles that looked like a spongy material or something, I didnt want to touch it while smoke was coming out of it. The guys at autozone didnt do much except tell me it was charged fine and that it shouldnt be smoking... obviously. The smoke is very light and smells terrible. Its not coming out like a huge puff or anything but its a small constant stream of light smoke. Would this be normal from it sitting a long time or am I just not going to be able to use it at all?

Thanks for reading and help.

Re: Optima Red Top Battery Smoking?

I have been told that a typical battery charger will ruin a gel cell battery, and that a trickle charger should be used instead. My yellow top went flat after about 6 months. I took it back and had it exchanged.

Comment

Smoke is never normal. No matter what the circumstances. Optima has a decent warranty. I'd turn it in for replacement. Even if it's a pro-rated amount...
      Red 96' A4 Firebird
      Audio Audio and Autotek
      Check it out here!

Comment

I think depending on how old it is they at least give you $50 towards a new one I think.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well, I ended up bringing it to Autozone and they said its no good. Its also 3 years old so he said the warranty might not cover it. I think the best I can do is junk it :/

Comment

I would at least email them or call, they might have a dealer in your area that might warranty it.
            I just checked because I have one in my car and wanted to know, 12 month= free replacement up to 36 months = pro rated.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 07-11-2008, 01:10 PM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X