low voltage, suggested cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low voltage, suggested cap?

i have a problem with my voltage, when driving it will dip down dramatically when i stop, especially with my lights and system on. I thought it was teh alternator but i had it checked at advance auto and it was reading perfectly. my batteery if fine too, its 2 months old and a good one. The guy suggested a capacitor for my amp, its a 1200 watt boss amp pushin 2 12 inch 1252 w infinity subs. BTW can someone tell me if this is a good set up or not? (i don't know that mucha about this stuff sorry)

i was searchin and i found some caps for around 100 and they look nice, i have a place to mount it , right next to my amp but i was wondering how the set up is? (is it like wire from battery to cap then wire from cap to amp then to ground? or what?) is it hard to set up? any suggestions on good lookin caps that work well? i'd really appreciate teh help, thanx

max

Re: low voltage, suggested cap?

Yeah i had that same issue and i ended up getting a stinger capacitor for about $100. It pretty much solved my problem, it dips a little but not nearly as bad as before.

installation was pretty simple. The cap has two terminals on it, one for the cable from the battery and then one to ground, then the same terminal for the battery you go to your amp, but you still need to ground your amp.

Comment

Originally posted by brad94
      Yeah i had that same issue and i ended up getting a stinger capacitor for about $100. It pretty much solved my problem, it dips a little but not nearly as bad as before.

installation was pretty simple. The cap has two terminals on it, one for the cable from the battery and then one to ground, then the same terminal for the battery you go to your amp, but you still need to ground your amp.
      do you need a separate ground for the cap and amp? cuz my amp is already grounded.

thanx

Comment

i also found a CAP that is shaped like a bottle of Nos =) i think it looks pretty sweet

Comment

It is probably the brakes lights that is effecting voltage. I notice my guage lights dim a bit when I push the brakes, no matter what is running. I don't think a cap will solve this problem, sounds like there is a wiring issue somewhere. How low does the voltage go? Your battery could also be on the fritz.
          <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

i have a very high quality battery that is less thn 3 months old, the volt goes down to before the oarnge mark but has never gone below it. Even if it is a wiring issue, i think the Cap should help regardless, am i correct?

Comment

u could get HO alternator

http://cgi.ebay.com/180-amp-Dominato...QQcmdZViewItem

and or a good battery in back I found a yellow top from junk yard for $15 so look for yellow top or kinetik battery probably khc2500 or 2000

cap is a option when u have good voltage to support your system but with all that voltage drop it would make it worse correct me if I am wrong and don't keep your system loud until u fix this problem or the magic smoke gone escape from your amp or sub
              Last edited by junkey_chan; 07-30-2007, 10:47 AM.

Comment

i think the idea of a cap is to charge the cap and then the amp runs off teh cap so that voltage drop is not an issue with the system, is that correct?

Comment

If you haven't done so already, you might want to to the alternator rewire mod first. See my site for details.
                  Last edited by FirebirdGT; 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM.
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

wtf is that? your site is too hectic to understand....

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
                      wtf is that? your site is too hectic to understand....
                      Replace the 8 AWG alternator-to-battery with a 4AWG from the alt directly to the positve post. Look at the "Underhood" pictures. Read the item under "Electrical" mods for the parts.
                      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                        Replace the 8 AWG alternator-to-battery with a 4AWG from the alt directly to the positve post. Look at the "Underhood" pictures. Read the item under "Electrical" mods for the parts.

:tup:

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                          you might want to to the alternator rewire mod first. .

your right .... but thats only 1 of 3 thing to do....

the "Big 3"

1) Battery negative to chassis
                          2) Alternator to battery positive
                          3) Chassis to engine

As many of you know, upgrading the "Big 3" wires in your engine compartment can lower the overall resistance of your entire electrical system. The effects of the lower resistance are typically:

1) Reduced dimming and smaller voltage drops
                          2) More stable voltage and better current flow
                          3) Less strain on your vehicle's charging system :dj:

my system pics
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2516564

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X