SPL contest results. What do you think? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPL contest results. What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPL contest results. What do you think?

I just entered my bird in my first SPL competition. The mic I was measured on I believed to be measuring really high. It was an IASCA event and the DB Drag was done on a Termlab while all other events were done on an Audiocontrol mic.
    I simply entered the SPL stock 2 class where on the Audiocontrol mic I hit a 149.9db. I new that was awfully high, but most of the verteran competitiors told me the meter was only reading about 2 db's high. So I went a second time on the same Audiocontrol mic. I hit a 149.3db. I know the meter was reading high, but I figure everyone is being read on the same meter so it is all fair. I later talked the judge into letting me try out the Termlab mic during a break. He let me give it a shot and on the Termlab mic I did a 139.9db. This to me is a more accurate number. When all was said and done I took 2nd place with a 149.9 on the meter. What do you guys think? Are these good numbers.
    If you would like to see what my system consists of you can check it out here.
    http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=3901

Final Results
    Audiocontrol 1st=149.9db 2nd=149.3db
    Termlab=139.9db @54HZ

Re: SPL contest results. What do you think?

too loud! at least without ear plugs ;)
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Yea... 139db is more like it for 2 12" and 900 watts..... :dj:

FYI ... 10db is a doubling of perceived loudness

check out my SQ system :burn:
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2516564

Comment

Two mics throwing up THAT much of a difference in numbers should throw up the red flag. Without knowing your exact numbers, I would have guessed (From my own experience in my f-bod) at about 141-142. The Termlab mic has always had a rep for being an extremely tight mic. Tough to score high numbers on. Donno why, but thats just what I've been hearing for years. My guess is the Termlab was running a db or two low... and the Audiocontrol was way too high.
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
          Two mics throwing up THAT much of a difference in numbers should throw up the red flag. Without knowing your exact numbers, I would have guessed (From my own experience in my f-bod) at about 141-142. The Termlab mic has always had a rep for being an extremely tight mic. Tough to score high numbers on. Donno why, but thats just what I've been hearing for years. My guess is the Termlab was running a db or two low... and the Audiocontrol was way too high.
          termlab generally doesn't run low. it is the most spot on meter out there, iasca is actually the only organization that still uses the ac. On the ac there is a sensitivity knob you can turn that affects the pressure sensitivity of the mic. Turning the knob can change your score by around 10 db's + or -. The termlab doesn't have any type of knob to adjust the sensitivity of the meter, it is set at one place and should always read the same (as with anything, there are certain things that could possibly cause it to have a false reading.)

anyway, that is a pretty decent score for only 900 watts, congrats on that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            3 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X