Battery or alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery or alternator

I have needed a new battery for a while, its starting to carode badly. Last weekend I stoped for gas, afterwards my car wouldn't start. My buddy came down and gave me a jump, everything was cool. Today I went to school everything was cool, she fired right up. After school it wouldn't, I got a jump and started driving home, a couple miles later my car died, when it should have been charging my battery. Got another jump made it home, a couple minutes ago I tryed to start her up, and the samething. I'm guessing its the alternator.
    If this is my problem, any suggestions.
    Thanks

Re: Battery or alternator

sounds like an alternator, but now your battery is prolly shot too

Comment

Cool, you have any suggestions on what type of alternator I should look for. Are they all the same? I checked out kragen.com and there was like 15 different choices, from $80 to $300.

Comment

I just picked up a reman 105A alternator from Advance/discount auto parts. Lifetime warranty.

Comment

yea just go to advanced, or auto zone and get whatever, an alternator is an alternator

Comment

It does sound like your alternator, but I would have cleaned the hell out of those corroded connections on the battery. I had problems years ago with corrosion and it not allowing my battery to charge. You may try cleaning the corroded battery first before replacing the alternator and see what happens.

Or get the car running and get it up to Autozone (if in your area) and get them to test the battery and alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
              sounds like an alternator, but now your battery is prolly shot too
              I agree
              Originally posted by kala
              I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
              parting her out

Comment

Thanks, about to head over to kragen. My buddy said they can test your alternator for problems.
                thanks for the help,
                Sam

Comment

replace your battery first, then deal with a possibly bad alternator
                  2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

If you can jump your car and it says running without the batt being charged your alt. is most likley fine. I would say 9 out of ten times its the batt. Hope this helps.

Comment

i would guess the alt. just get your car running then hook up a voltage tester to the cables coming off of your alt. then see what happens (be careful not to let the metal clamps get to close to the alternator itself though lol)
                      K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X