Check out my Valentine Radar Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Check out my Valentine Radar Mount

So tell me this. Why even try to detect laser? My thinking is that once you've been hit with laser and the detector gets it.....aren't you already clocked? I mean, it's like once you've been pinged they've got you.
    \'99 3.8 Firebird<br />Red, T-Tops, Chrome Dante 17\'s, Cold Air Intake, Free Ram Air, K&N Filter, Flowmaster Duels, Performance Plugs/Wires, CATless, Smoothed out Lid<br /><br />Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint...<i>Firebird Power!!</i>

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocketbird
      So tell me this. Why even try to detect laser? My thinking is that once you've been hit with laser and the detector gets it.....aren't you already clocked? I mean, it's like once you've been pinged they've got you.
      because the second they hit you, you can look at how fast youre going at that exact moment... so when the cop says "so you were doing 50 in a 30" you can promptly correct him... respectfully, of course
      2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Silver 6
        because the second they hit you, you can look at how fast youre going at that exact moment... so when the cop says "so you were doing 50 in a 30" you can promptly correct him... respectfully, of course
        well heres a scenario for you to consider.

Speed limit is 60 mph. Your doing 70 mph. You get hit with laser/radar whatever, and the cop pulls you over and says he clocked you doing 75. If you reply with "No sir, i was only going 70", he still has you admitting that you were speeding, since the speed limit is 60. Cops often ask "do you know how fast you were going? I clocked you at ...". They try to get you to say you were going a lesser speed, but one that is still above the speed limit. Once you admit that, you are admitting guilt, and you probably will have a hard time fighting the ticket in court.
        2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocketbird
          Wrong. The laser sends off signals, thus, the radar actually picks it up BEFORE the cop even points it at you. If he's radaring someone else, and your radar is good enough, it'll go off on the Ka( I think, or K ) band. =)

I've picked one up down the street once with my friend's detector. It's....expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by lookout4theyeti
            well heres a scenario for you to consider.

Speed limit is 60 mph. Your doing 70 mph. You get hit with laser/radar whatever, and the cop pulls you over and says he clocked you doing 75. If you reply with "No sir, i was only going 70", he still has you admitting that you were speeding, since the speed limit is 60. Cops often ask "do you know how fast you were going? I clocked you at ...". They try to get you to say you were going a lesser speed, but one that is still above the speed limit. Once you admit that, you are admitting guilt, and you probably will have a hard time fighting the ticket in court.
            lol i suppose thats true... the only scenario ive had happen (twice), was that the cop said he gunned me going 10-15 over, when he never even used his radar. so i asked to see the gun and he let me go
            2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Originally posted by Moses
              Wrong. The laser sends off signals, thus, the radar actually picks it up BEFORE the cop even points it at you. If he's radaring someone else, and your radar is good enough, it'll go off on the Ka( I think, or K ) band. =)

I've picked one up down the street once with my friend's detector. It's....expensive.
              laser is different than radar... laser is targeted at a specific vehicle. As soon as the gun gets a reflection back from the car, the speed is read.
              2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Silver 6
                lol i suppose thats true... the only scenario ive had happen (twice), was that the cop said he gunned me going 10-15 over, when he never even used his radar. so i asked to see the gun and he let me go
                Yea, i've heard of that happening. However, I think many places have changed it so that they are not required to show you the readout when you ask for it. Also keep in mind that they can get your speed by pacing you. Though if the cop is sitting on the side of the road (which im assuming happened to you), then obviously he is not pacing you, so thats not your case.
                2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Ok have never studdied or really looked into radar and lazer detectors but here is some info from a reliable source. My dad is a major in the police dept. I have come to understand it like this... Wether it is laser or radar a detector tells you you have been hit. Now that doesn't mean a direct hit that can men that radar hit a car somewhere infront of you and it bounced around and hit your car at some point. That is how a radar detector can gauge how strong the radar is that hit you and how far away it is. Thus the different stages of lights. Now as for laser pretty much if you get hit with laser you are screwed unless the slight chance the laser bounced and hit your detector. So if you didn't get pulled over concider yourself lucky.
                  So in short radar detectors tell you that you have gotten hit by radar not necessarily a direct hit but hit. With laser it is a lot more concentrated than radar so it is harder to detect unless you get a direct hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian99
                    Ok have never studdied or really looked into radar and lazer detectors but here is some info from a reliable source. My dad is a major in the police dept. I have come to understand it like this... Wether it is laser or radar a detector tells you you have been hit. Now that doesn't mean a direct hit that can men that radar hit a car somewhere infront of you and it bounced around and hit your car at some point. That is how a radar detector can gauge how strong the radar is that hit you and how far away it is. Thus the different stages of lights. Now as for laser pretty much if you get hit with laser you are screwed unless the slight chance the laser bounced and hit your detector. So if you didn't get pulled over concider yourself lucky.
                    So in short radar detectors tell you that you have gotten hit by radar not necessarily a direct hit but hit. With laser it is a lot more concentrated than radar so it is harder to detect unless you get a direct hit.
                    Yeah, your correct to an extent. I think a way to clear this up a little is that radar is a frequency through the air, much like your fm radio stations. The farther away from it you are, the harder it is to pick up. When you have a good, sensitive radar detector, assuming the officer is using constant on radar, you should get a warning with enough time to slow down. All the detector is doing is picking up the frequency's in the air. Many factors can help how far you detect it as well, such as buildings, cars, metal signs, all things that can reflect the radio wave can give you a longer detection time.

So with that, the cop may not even know that he is about to obtain your speed, when you already know that he is there. You can pick up his radar signal from over a hill before he can see you or you can see him.

Laser is typically a once you you get hit, your caught sort of deal like many of you are saying. However, many things can work on your side to reduce your chances of being caught. Having no front license plate helps(the front plate is the most targeted area of a vehicle, its very reflective). The next most targeted spot is the headlights. Veil, an infrared absorbing transparent paint is a great thing to have coated on your headlights. This will make it harder for the laser gun to lock on to your vehicle. When you have a laser detector and these other countermeasures, the cop may shoot you with laser (and your detector will hopefully catch the signal), but he may not get a reading because the gun has not gotten a reflection back. Remember, it only takes one beam of "light" to get to your detector, but it takes 2 for the cop to get a reading.
                    2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

That looks really nice chris!

:tup:
                      *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X