Amp and Head Unit not working! Plz help - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp and Head Unit not working! Plz help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp and Head Unit not working! Plz help

I have two problems right now. I just brought my car out from its winter slumber, I recharged the battery and installed it, and I took the shoddy amp fuse that would cut out all the time and put in a new rockford fuse. The first problem is that my amp is not getting any power. I did a good job with the new fuse(i think), and I put the metal connector at the positive battery terminal and made sure it was tightly fit. I'm getting no power at all to it (i can tell because i have a small neon wired to the amp that is always on when it has power) Second, I have a Kenwood Head unit cd player that has always worked until now. It has power and turns on, but all it says is "All Off" when i turn the car on. I have tried every button on the face plate and nothing seems to be working...the only things it's letting me do is change the contrast and ridiculous crap like that...i can't even open the cd port! I know this is a far cry for help, but anyone who has any ideas of what I might be doing wrong please offer a suggestion!

Re: Amp and Head Unit not working! Plz help

The amp. You need a digital multimeter. Test for 12V at the amp. Not 6V or 9V, but 12V. I once had a huge voltage drop at the amp for some reason (been like 6 years, I don't remember why) and I didn't know that until I saw it on the meter. The amp wouldn't turn on until it had above like 11V. Safety feature. Test for solid ground. If you have those two things, then the reason your amp is not powering on is because the headunit is no longer sending the remote turn-on voltage. If you DON'T have 12V at the amp, check further back in the chain. (At the batt for example) You need to start troubleshooting. There is no obvious answer anyone is going to be able to give you for problems like these. Develop those troubleshooting skills. Start at some point in the chain. If the signal is bad/good, move up/down in the chain until you find the cause.

The headunit sounds odd. Both of these problems started at the same time? If so, then its HIGHLY likely they are related.
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

so if my head unit isn't working properly... it might just be that it isn't giving my amp any power?

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
        so if my head unit isn't working properly... it might just be that it isn't giving my amp any power?
        For starters. The purpose of the remote turn on lead from the headunit is to turn the amp on and off. If the headunit is not powering on.... no turn on signal is sent to the amp. Thats just one small possibility. Start doing some troubleshooting. Then try to swap out some of your suspect gear with a spare or maybe a friends. Gotta work it man. The things I'm telling you are exactly what a "pro" would do..... minus taking a hundred bucks from your wallet.
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
          For starters. The purpose of the remote turn on lead from the headunit is to turn the amp on and off. If the headunit is not powering on.... no turn on signal is sent to the amp. Thats just one small possibility. Start doing some troubleshooting. Then try to swap out some of your suspect gear with a spare or maybe a friends. Gotta work it man. The things I'm telling you are exactly what a "pro" would do..... minus taking a hundred bucks from your wallet.
          i know i appreciate it, bear with me...my cd player does have power though, i just can't get it to go to the radio or cd functions and i don't know why. Second I replaced a bad fuse for my amp wire in the engine compartment and i'm sure i did it good enough for it to work. I checked my whole wire over and it all seems to be in tact, do you think my batter just doensn't have enought juice to it yet? (haven't actually driven it in a couply months)

Comment

Are you trying to power everything on while the car is running? If not, TURN ON THE CAR!

The headunit may have power, but is not turning on. Its just sitting in standby mode correct? The turn-on signal is not sent until the headunit is on and ready to play some music. The reason I'm harping on the headunit so much is because the fuse under the hood and condition of amplifiers should in no way affect the headunit. The headunit should be acting fine regardless. The fact that it is not is odd to me. Again, get a multimeter and start poking around.
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
              Are you trying to power everything on while the car is running? If not, TURN ON THE CAR!

The headunit may have power, but is not turning on. Its just sitting in standby mode correct? The turn-on signal is not sent until the headunit is on and ready to play some music. The reason I'm harping on the headunit so much is because the fuse under the hood and condition of amplifiers should in no way affect the headunit. The headunit should be acting fine regardless. The fact that it is not is odd to me. Again, get a multimeter and start poking around.
              arrr but i'm so stubborn and lazy.... so are you trying to say i might get some power if i DRIVE my car...cuz all i'm doin right now is letting the engine idle while i try to put them on.

Comment

I had the same problem once with my amp, couldn't get any power to it and I checked and checked and checked the fuse like 20 times cuz thats what everyone was telling me to check, but the fuse seemed fine by looking at it, then I put a voltmeter on it to check and see if it was still good and the voltmeter beeped when I jumped the two ends together, so I thought for sure it was ok, so to make a long story short, the fuse was bad, seems like the carbon in the fuse allowed it to read good by the voltmeter, but when any kind of current tried to pass it couldn't handle it, therefore my amp wasn't getting any power, lol all that for one stupid fuse:rant:

Comment

Originally posted by StiLlsMoKiN875
                  I had the same problem once with my amp, couldn't get any power to it and I checked and checked and checked the fuse like 20 times cuz thats what everyone was telling me to check, but the fuse seemed fine by looking at it, then I put a voltmeter on it to check and see if it was still good and the voltmeter beeped when I jumped the two ends together, so I thought for sure it was ok, so to make a long story short, the fuse was bad, seems like the carbon in the fuse allowed it to read good by the voltmeter, but when any kind of current tried to pass it couldn't handle it, therefore my amp wasn't getting any power, lol all that for one stupid fuse:rant:
                  I just pulled out some ben & jerry's and a box of tissues.... sad story bro... the sad news for me is that i JUST put a new fuse in... a new fuse holder...it's a Rockford...apparently thats a good brand...and got the fuses that fit inside...i restripped the wires and stuffed them inside the connectors and tightened them down .... still no power.... :( i miss my music

Comment

I just pulled out some ben & jerry's and a box of tissues.... sad story bro... the sad news for me is that i JUST put a new fuse in... a new fuse holder...it's a Rockford...apparently thats a good brand...and got the fuses that fit inside...i restripped the wires and stuffed them inside the connectors and tightened them down .... still no power.... :( i miss my music
                    mine was a new fuse too, I would try multiple fuses just in case.

Comment

mine was a new fuse too, I would try multiple fuses just in case.
                      will do

Comment

will do
                        keep us updated bro

Comment

keep us updated bro
                          i'm thinkin i'll try my old fuse (which never actually blew...the wires just weren't connected to the fuse holder)....hey ya never know you just might be right.... i will keep you guys updated when i change it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X