Alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator?

Was driving the firebird yesterday and whenever the rpm's reached around 3 or 4k, the battery guage went straight down to red and the lights would dim. I thought well it must be the alternator but it goes down so quick and when i shift back to a lower rpm it goes right back up. I went to advance and we changed the battery (the guy working said he thought it was the battery, because he messed up trying to check it) and it didn't fix it. So he got someone else to check it and that guy said it was the alternator. So I was goin to buy one today, after work i was on the way home and no matter how much i floored it or revved the car... the battery guage didn't move...????? I'm confused.
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Re: Alternator?

I'd say its the alternator. You can have it check for free at almost any autoparts store though. Take it off the car, give it to the person behind the counter and they can test it to see if it going/gone bad.

I just changed mine yesterday :)
    sigpic
    1997 Camaro RS A4
    2006 Chevy Colorado
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown
      I'd say its the alternator. You can have it check for free at almost any autoparts store though. Take it off the car, give it to the person behind the counter and they can test it to see if it going/gone bad.

I just changed mine yesterday :)
      advance said it was bad... i'm goin to take it to autozone, have it checked and if its bad as well then i'll get a new one. Its just too cold to put on now... maybe i'll do it tomorrow.
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Have them check the battery too cuz my bad alternator cuased my battery to fail as well, luckily it was still under warranty :D
        sigpic
        1997 Camaro RS A4
        2006 Chevy Colorado
        2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown
          Have them check the battery too cuz my bad alternator cuased my battery to fail as well, luckily it was still under warranty :D
          they actually put a new battery in and since the problem was still there i wanted mine back and they had charged it while i went down the road. Free battery charge for me

Comment

I had to change my alternator on mine when i first got my car cause the lights were dimming and supposedly a bad alternator can drain your battery pretty fast...soon after one day at school my Camaro was totally dead and I needed a jump haha. Alls good now.

Comment

just put on the new alternator... seems like the everything is fine. Hopefully the battery wasn't drained too bad. I only drove it like 20 miles. Should be fine. Now i have to clean the engine bay due to the whisper lid and alternator looking brand new.

Comment

Any alternator brand recommendations? My battery gauge stays low when i start then i can hear it charge back up after its started. I can hear it charge up b/c the fuel pump is whining pretty loud.
                Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 99pewterv6
                  Any alternator brand recommendations? My battery gauge stays low when i start then i can hear it charge back up after its started. I can hear it charge up b/c the fuel pump is whining pretty loud.
                  I can't afford a new one so i get the refurbished ones from autozone or advance... i think around 125 bux Autocraft maybe???? not really sure but they come with a lifetime warranty

Comment

Can you get a kit for it? Last year I pick up a kit for my truck 160 amp. It was around 30 bucks. It was bearings, brushes and two diodes. A hour later it was back on the truck and has been woking great. You may just need the diodes.
                    2000 Firebird A4, 3.42 LSD, K&N, Free Cold Air, PaceSetter, 3" in/out Catco, 3" S-Pipe, 3" Intermidiate Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 80

Comment

maybe, but i've already got one from advance and its working great. I don't have too much time to work on the car with college and an apartment setting. Most of my work is done during the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird
                        and an apartment setting.
                        OOoooo I used to HATE that so much....:mad: No room to work on anything. Plus I lived on the 8th floor. Imagine attempting to swap an alternator out and realizing you forgot a tool in the house.:mad: You go upstairs, grab the tool, get back downstairs....and realize you forgot something else.

But even worse than that.... I used to have an apartment with street parking in downtown Waikiki. Imagine having to park 3 blocks away. Don't even THINK about working on the car.:eek:

Oh and it's possible the voltage regulator was starting to fail. The alt itself was good.... but the regulator on the rear of it was hiccuping. It's common.
                        Last edited by 96firebird311; 03-08-2007, 08:55 AM.
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

8th floor :wow:

I'm on the thrid but its the highest floor in this complex. Luckily i get a decently close parking spot. THe only bad thing is the parking lot is at a slant and if you drop anything it seems to roll under the car or down the lot!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X