Cruise control switch does not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise control switch does not work

as it seems, long before i bought my 1997 firebird, the cruise control switch does not works.

the car is fine, and everything on it, does not has any problems. the multi-function whatever, where the cruise control switch is located, works, i mean, any other function on this thing (i dont know the right name for it) works except for the cruise control switch.

Can anyone help me? what i need to repair or change? the only thing i think i can change is the multifunction ****...

Re: Cruise control switch does not work

What do you mean it doesn't work? You mean the switch clicks and the cruise still won't turn on?
    Assuming you know how to operate the cruise, keep in mind that if one of your taillights is burnt out (or you car thinks it is) you cruise will be disabled as a "reminder." I would go ahead and check to make sure all outside bulbs on the car work. LEDs can cause the car to think the lights are out too.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
      What do you mean it doesn't work? You mean the switch clicks and the cruise still won't turn on?
      Assuming you know how to operate the cruise, keep in mind that if one of your taillights is burnt out (or you car thinks it is) you cruise will be disabled as a "reminder." I would go ahead and check to make sure all outside bulbs on the car work. LEDs can cause the car to think the lights are out too.
      well, I bought the car on june 2006, and the switch was already on, let say as a standard, the labels were all erased, so i didn't know if it was on or off until i checked how to used it on the owner's manual. the car works perfectly, the cruise control fuse is working. as you said, the switch clicks, but the cruise won't turn on. and like i said, everything works very fine...

Comment

do you have and ses lights or the ABS INOP light because every now and then when my ABS light comes on my cruise wont work

Comment

How do you know it's not on? There is no "cruise" indicator light on our cars.

Are you sure your using the cruise properly. The 3 position slider switch turns the cruise on but it does not engage it. You need to be over 30mph (or somewhere around there) and the slider switch has to be in the ON positon. Then you can press and then release the momentary set button at the end of the multi function lever. When you remove your foot from the gas pedal the cruise control should take over speed control.

If the cruise control doesn't engage after performing the above procedure then the system has a problem. The most common problem that I've had to deal with is the wiring for the slider and momentary switches. This wiring is suseptable to breakage inside the control lever (or stalk). The twisting motion when usuing the windshield wiper function is mostly responsible for this.

I have developed a repair for this type of wiring failure, but you first have to confirm that it is indeed the switches in the lever that are not working. You do this by gaining access to the steering column under the dash. There you will find a connector for the cruise wiring harness. Disconnect the connector and use a mult-meter to test the operation of the switches. If they check out ok, then the problem is elsewhere in the system (other wiring, servo, module, etc...). If one (or both) swtiches do not test properly, then the wiring repair inside the lever, or outright replacement of the lever, is required.

Check out that lever and report back if you want me to provide you with the procedure to repair.
          Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

GM used this same cruise control "stick" in a lot of their cars, and they are not known for thier simplicity. I would say try taking it apart, and looking for a loose conection, that's what I did in my 95 Monte, and I got it to work after some tinkering.

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfrito_SS
              GM used this same cruise control "stick" in a lot of their cars, and they are not known for thier simplicity. I would say try taking it apart, and looking for a loose conection, that's what I did in my 95 Monte, and I got it to work after some tinkering.

that's what i thought, to check it for a loose connection. i know it is not on because it dont do anything when it is supposed to. well, according to the manual and the position of the switch, i can figure out if its on or not.

I have the SES Light on, but its not about the cruise control, its the O2 Heater, it turned on that code (dont remember which one is it) when I installed the headers, and the ABS is working fine... practically everything is working fine...

Comment

check your fuses
                the ac and cruse are on the same fuse

Comment

Originally posted by seancon112
                  check your fuses
                  the ac and cruse are on the same fuse

Fuses are fine...that's why i'm hitting my head hard trying to think what can it be...

Comment

Well, as said before, there is a switch on the pedals. If you have a manual, there's prolly one on the assembly under the dash for it too, so the cruise turns off when the clutch is engaged. Automatics have on the brake pedal assembly, I assume the manual has one on the brake assembly as well. Check those switches out. The buttons on the switches must be pushed in to let the cruise activate.

You shuld also check out the wiring going into AND within the stalk/stick. If that doesn't work, maybe the brake light thing. After that, I'm out of ideas, prolly a cruise control malfunction/death.
                    Currently, my cruise is dead too, I'm taking stuff apart tomorrow in hopes to find the problem. For me, it started out by kicking the cruise off every time I dimmed or brightened my headlights. Now the cruise wont even come on, and there's a bit of difficulty to even dim or brighten the lights, so something in my stalk is prolly broken.
                    Good luck.
                    ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

One easy test of the clutch and brake switches is to try engaging cruise while you're pulling up on the pedal (hook your foot under it and pull it towards you).

Often they go out of adjustment a bit or the pedal is sagging slightly and it won't engage. You can either adjust the switch out a bit or pull it and clean the contacts while you're at it.
                      Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                      Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

ah who needs cruise.. jk. my first thought was fuses too, my cruise has randomly not worked a couple of times too but it always ends up working again
                        Dave:
                        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

usually, Its always the multi function switch
                          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                            usually, Its always the multi function switch
                            Is there an advanced write up on this fix somewhere?

Comment

I had something similar, one day it just stopped working etc etc. Did a lot of stuff and nothing worked.

Turned out to be a ground wire. From inside the drivers fender where the CC unit is you will see a single wire coming from the unit and terminating on a ring style terminal. This is bolted to the frame rail. mine was attached by a single strand. Re-terminated and no more problem. :banana:

Vic 98 Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X