Will this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work?

Alright, so I have busted two speakers on my 96 Firebird with the Bose system. And instead of taking the time to find replacements in a junkyard or on ebay. I am thinking I'm going to go to a junkyard and grab the headunit out of a 98+ bird with the monsoon system and replace the 4 front speakers with the ones described here(http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105043). I am getting a headunit out of a newer car instead of just getting an aftermarket one for two reasons. I want to keep the completely stock look of my interior and I want to keep my steering wheel controls (I'm guessing the steering wheel controls are the same for the different years). Now with the back im just going to get two 6.5" subs and put them in there and throw in some after market amp just powering those two subs and leave the 4 speakers in the very back unhooked.

Now since I don't know anything about speakers really, I want to know if this is going to work. I have someone who can install everything for me for free so that doesn't matter. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Will this work?

no, it wont work.

Comment

Well it would have actually been helpful if you would have said what part wouldn't work for what reason.

Comment

im not positive, but i would assume that the wire harnesses are different. and going through all that trouble for some stock speakers isnt gonna be worth it.

Comment

They wont be stock speakers. I'm only going to be using the stock headunit from a monsoon system on a 98+ bird. The speakers are goign to be those described in the page I linked to.

Fronts:
          Alpine SPS-1005 Tweeters
          Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2's

Rear Subs:
          Rockford Fosgate RFP4406 6.5" Subs.

Comment

the wire harnes to the cd player wont be the same. the monsoon deck and the bnose deck are different. the monsoon system is probly gonna draw more power than the bose. so the wires are probly different. i dont know for sure, but it could have came with amplifiers. in which case your wire harness wouldnt allow hook up.

basically what im saying is, its a bad idea. just replace them with aftermarket. they probly wont sound as good but its easier in my opinion than figuring out what will work and what wont..

Comment

For me an aftermarket headunit is absolutely out of the question. They look completely out of place. I will keep using my system with busted speakers before I switch to an aftermarket headunit. Anyways I'm just trying ot see if this is sort of possible. Can anyone tell me if the steering wheel controls are going to work if I switch between the bose and monsoon headunit?

On a side note, I have a uncle that is an expert of sorts at car stereo, but I wanted to ask here first because I'm sure that there are people very familiar with the systems that come in our cars. Hes going to be helping me hook everything up and such.

Comment

hope it works out for ya. also, pioneer makes a headunit exspecially for gm cars. it look stock as it can get.

Comment

Oh really, didn't know that. Two questions. Will it work with the steering wheel contorls? And can you send me a link, I can't seem to find it.

Comment

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent

its as stock looking as they come. propbly a no go onthe steering wheel controls. i would call them to make sure though.

Comment

Ehh thats not what I was expecting. I'll just see what I can do with the monsoon headunit.

Comment

I dont know if you still need this but i thought id try and help, http://store.clubgp.com/catview.asp?catid=6 gives steering wheel controls to most aftermarket stereos.

And i would think you can put a monsoon in but youll have to wire each wire yourself, and youll need a digram.

Hope this helps.

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
                        '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
                        '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

Oh and most of your questions can be answered here http://mods.firebirdv6.com/stereo.html that is where i got the link for the controls.

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
                          '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

firebird_freak. you spelled CAMARO wrong in your sig. fyi.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmb
                              firebird_freak. you spelled CAMARO wrong in your sig. fyi.
                              Thats why its underlined, read the "The meaning of Camaro" thread and youll understand.

'66 Ford SOLD

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X