Amp location??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp location??

I am thinking about putting a 10 inch sub on the drivers side rear compartment, only problem is where to mount the amp?

I do not want to see it or have it in the small trunk area thats there.

Any Ideas?

Re: Amp location??

I wired mine to the passenger side compartment. I just stuck a towel in-between the spare tire and the amp so that it doesnt rattle. Works great and nothing is visible

Comment

I was thinking of that direction but what amp are you using?

I was worried about overheating.

I would be using a MTX Thunder 3401 amp

And am looking at getting the Stealthbox with the JL 10" sub

Comment

You could look at Subthump's amp rack: http://subthump.com/acamarorack2.htm

The amp is still visible, but its clean and hidden when the hatch is closed.
        <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

yeah im about to get the wallamp rack from subthump also, it is visible so ucan show ppl ur amp, and tune it, but it is hidden when u have have hatch closed and are away from ur car

Comment

I have made some of those amp racks for some people already. Work really good. I sell them for $67 shipped. Here are some pics of mine:

http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I am running a JL 10" in a stealthbox to a JL 1000 watt amp...its been in there for about a year and a half now and i havent had any overheating problems whatsoever with it being behind that panel.

Comment

Originally posted by mLaZz
                I am running a JL 10" in a stealthbox to a JL 1000 watt amp...its been in there for about a year and a half now and i havent had any overheating problems whatsoever with it being behind that panel.

Sounds good I think that amp I have hasa cooling fan built in also.

Where is the place to go for the best deal on a stealthbox and JL sub?

Comment

Originally posted by Fonz2000
                  Where is the place to go for the best deal on a stealthbox and JL sub?
                  The stealthbox can be had for about $75 shipped off Ebay, but some of them are junk. www.subthump.com has all great quality stuff. You're looking for something made out of MDF, not particle board.

As for the sub, JL's W1 line only comes in a single 4 ohm model if I'm remembering right. Your amp will output the most power with a 2 ohm load. So.... if you must stick with JL, then you'll have to step up to the W3 line. They use dual 4 ohm coils. But then it starts to get a little pricey for you. $140-150ish shipped I think. I recommend a dual 4 ohm Alpine Type-R. They can be had for about $105 shipped brand new. DAMN fine subwoofer for the price.
                  Red 96' A4 Firebird
                  Audio Audio and Autotek
                  Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                    I have made some of those amp racks for some people already. Work really good. I sell them for $67 shipped. Here are some pics of mine:

word! there is mine (:
                    Dave:
                    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Think I found the sub I want thru crutchfield, its a Infinity Kappa 10.1 for $150

I have had 2-Infinity 12" subs that are 14 years old now and still perform great!

I think subthump is the way to go on the box.

Now how does that amp rack mount to the car?
                      Also does the Sub box get secured to the side somehow?

I am still not sure if I want to limit my space in the trunk with the amp rack but instead zip tie the amp to my spare tire with some sort of isolation pad between?

Comment

Don't mean to be an a$$.... but the Kappa's not half the sub the Type-R is....and more expensive to boot.

If you do decide to go with the Kappa, make sure you get the dual 4 ohm version. Or as Crutchfield puts it " 10" Switchable 2 or 8-ohm Component Sub" .... lol
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
                          Don't mean to be an a$$.... but the Kappa's not half the sub the Type-R is....and more expensive to boot.

If you do decide to go with the Kappa, make sure you get the dual 4 ohm version. Or as Crutchfield puts it " 10" Switchable 2 or 8-ohm Component Sub" .... lol
                          Opinions welcome, I just have used these 12" kappas for 14 years hard and they still keep thumpin:banana:

I have been out of the good vs bad sub game for a while so what are these Type-R subs yoiu mention?

Comment

$109 shipped +$3 insurance

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-TYPE-R-SW...QQcmdZViewItem
                            Red 96' A4 Firebird
                            Audio Audio and Autotek
                            Check it out here!

Comment

amps love to overheat, especially if they arent getting air.
                              i wouldnt mount it behind the plastic panel next to the spare. not a good idea.
                              *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X