Hmmmm...which subs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm...which subs?

Hello, i'm getting rid of my 12" L7 in favor of 2 12" round subs.

I'm looking for some subs that are loud, but also don't sound like a pile of crap. As far as how loud, my L5 was about what I was looking for, so no quieter than that.

I already have the amp. It's a Viper D600.1, 1200 watts at 1 ohm. I was looking at the the Kicker CompVR's, they seem pretty popular, anyone have an experience with them? I also looked at the JL 12w3v2... By the way, price range is $200 or less per sub RETAIL, I will probably buy from ebay.

Also, the box that i'm putting these in is sealed, each chamber with 1.5 cubes.
    Last edited by Greg94Red392; 06-05-2006, 08:54 PM.
    1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Re: Hmmmm...which subs?

With that box size I would sick up the JL's or look at the Alpine Type Rs, also that amp to your suprise is only 600 watts. 1200 watts is a max power rating, and no one should ever even tell the average customer that number, because 99% of people don't know what it really means, or know what is a good amount for what speaker. And too many companies advertise that way.

The Viper 1200.1D is a 1200 watt amp and its about 3 feet long and goes about 35lbs.
    1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

Originally posted by Greg94Red392
      Hello, i'm getting rid of my 12" L7 in favor of 2 12" round subs.

I'm looking for some subs that are loud, but also don't sound like a pile of crap. As far as how loud, my L5 was about what I was looking for, so no quieter than that.

I already have the amp. It's a Viper D600.1, 1200 watts at 1 ohm. I was looking at the the Kicker CompVR's, they seem pretty popular, anyone have an experience with them? I also looked at the JL 12w3v2... By the way, price range is $200 or less per sub RETAIL, I will probably buy from ebay.

Also, the box that i'm putting these in is sealed, each chamber with 1.5 cubes.
      yo i have been looking at the same exact subs as you are i had an l5 but it sounded like trash so i bought a 2-12" box for the camaro and now i need to find 2-12" subs i was thinkin of goin with the type Rs or cvrs

Comment

well if your looking for SQ then i wouldnt advise you to go for the cvr's most kicker subwoofers are based more towards spl than sq, Type R's sound decent and can get REALLY loud in the right install.

my advice would be to search around the internet! there is more brands out there than just the mainstream.

If your looking for a more SQ oriented sub then go to www.soundsplinter.com Check out the Rl-p series subwoofer. they sound AMAZING and get quite loud too!

just an idea hope i could help!
        Tyler

Comment

Type-R's are TWICE the subwoofer the CVR's are.

Tyler is correct. There are a ton companies out there.... but finding a 12" that outperforms the Type-R for under the 110 bucks new they can be had for off Ebay....good luck.
          Red 96' A4 Firebird
          Audio Audio and Autotek
          Check it out here!

Comment

Well since I can only give the Type R's 300rms, is it worth the money?
            1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

Well since I can only give the Type R's 300rms, is it worth the money?
              Don't let ratings fool you, I had a set of Phoenix Gold Trantrum 12d's they only took 250watts each, I was feeding them 280 each, and they took it and screamed! I mean get out of the car dizzy screamed in a .65cuft box each!

The type R's scream for as smooth as their reproduction is.

The compVR will aniliate a Type R in SPL in the correct box, but if you look at the correct box Kicker want a BIG box 3cuft each if I remember correctly and ported... And Type R works great in a small box..

But by all means do look around some and see what else is out there you like. If you come across anything else, just let us know what you find and we will throw in some advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikos95
                The compVR will aniliate a Type R in SPL in the correct box
                Not a chance. Both subs in their ideal enclosures, not a chance in hell. The Type-R has almost exactly 50% more linear one-way excursion then the compVR. In other words... there will be some butt kickin going on, but opposite of what you're saying.:stp:

Keep in mind, power handling is totally dependent on the enclosure. Small sealed boxes will allow the sub to take more power at all frequencies. And vice versa of course. Similar in vented enclosures, but its MUCH more dependent on tuned frequency and frequency being played. But all in all, I've seen subs truly powered 4 times over there rating for burps. And twice over for daily listening.:) [whisper] The key is to keep that power clean ;)[/whisper]
                Red 96' A4 Firebird
                Audio Audio and Autotek
                Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
                  Not a chance. Both subs in their ideal enclosures, not a chance in hell. The Type-R has almost exactly 50% more linear one-way excursion then the compVR. In other words... there will be some butt kickin going on, but opposite of what you're saying.:stp:

Keep in mind, power handling is totally dependent on the enclosure. Small sealed boxes will allow the sub to take more power at all frequencies. And vice versa of course. Similar in vented enclosures, but its MUCH more dependent on tuned frequency and frequency being played. But all in all, I've seen subs truly powered 4 times over there rating for burps. And twice over for daily listening.:) [whisper] The key is to keep that power clean ;)[/whisper]
                  Very good point on the Clean Power! That is key everywhere, this is a common reason why people say my friend is pushing 2000 watts and has no bass and this other guy is only pushing 500 watts and his system smashes...

I don't know so much about the Type R being louder I do know it excurdes much further, but I have dealt with both many times in sealed and ported boxes in the same vehicles. The compvr is built for SPL even though its excursion is not as much, its more sensitive in its area in the proper spl oriented box, and takes 100 watts more power rms.

I'm not saying the Type R isn't louder, but it is something I would honestly like to test myself just to see how the two run, being they are both extremely popular and around the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikos95
                    I'm not saying the Type R isn't louder, but it is something I would honestly like to test myself just to see how the two run, being they are both extremely popular and around the same price.
                    Go for it! Would be fun at the very least. Build the boxes as big as you can and tune to maybe 50Hz? Power em' up and stand back!

Oh and again, me thinks you have it backwards. Type-R is rated at 500WRMS and the CVR is 400WRMS if I'm not mistaken.
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
                      Go for it! Would be fun at the very least. Build the boxes as big as you can and tune to maybe 50Hz? Power em' up and stand back!

Oh and again, me thinks you have it backwards. Type-R is rated at 500WRMS and the CVR is 400WRMS if I'm not mistaken.
                      Wow ya you are right, I didn't know they gave them a boost... Well in that case I think the R's win now damn... I was thinking the old models that were still only 300 rms.

Comment

I think i'm gonna go ahead and get two Type R's and just give them 300rms a piece, and if I feel like I need more i'll buy another amp and give them 600rms a piece.

Comment

I think i'm gonna go ahead and get two Type R's and just give them 300rms a piece, and if I feel like I need more i'll buy another amp and give them 600rms a piece.
                          Better to go with the Type R's anyways, Kickers want really big boxes in the Comp and CompVR's

Comment

Deff. go with Alpines... i had VERY good experience with Alpines.... mine were rated 300 RMS but i fed 350 RMS, no problem. Sound quality is awesome with those subs...and not to forget about their reliability..... and now their rating boosted up to 500 RMS.....oh man.... "BUY IT NOW"....
                            09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                            sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X