Filled "stuffed boxes" poly-filling? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filled "stuffed boxes" poly-filling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filled "stuffed boxes" poly-filling?

Ok so it recomends in my L7 manual that i fill 50% of the box with poly-fil i have not done this and was woundering how it will affect the sound? and where to get this a friend said just use pillow stuffing? but ill probable get real stuff. so any way what is is spose to do for me?

L7 10" at 4ohm,
    Power Acoustik amp 620max 320rms
    Stealth box Pass side, Subthump does anyone have the cubic feet for this box?

Re: Filled "stuffed boxes" poly-filling?

its called polyfill, its basically pillow stuffing. i'm not sure exactly how it works but i guess its supposed to make the box seem bigger to the woofer. Rule of thumb is its 16 ounces of poly fill for every cubic foot. thats about all i could tell you. dont really know exactly how it works. just dont overstuff it

Comment

I'v been wondering the same thing myself.

Comment

for my box I just ran to walmart and got a pillow filled with polyfill for like 3 bucks and ripped the pillow open and stuffed my box. Stuffing makes the subs think they are in a bigger box if you box lacks the suggested cu. ft. for the subs.
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
          for my box I just ran to walmart and got a pillow filled with polyfill for like 3 bucks and ripped the pillow open and stuffed my box. Stuffing makes the subs think they are in a bigger box if you box lacks the suggested cu. ft. for the subs.
          thumbs up or house insullation hah pink panther beotch

Comment

Poly filling is pillow stuffing, and much cheaper if you buy it as pillow stuffing! Some people also like to use fiberglass insulation, works well also, but generally used in home speaker systems.

I generally like to put a little stuffing in every box I have, for a number of reasons. It will help a small box yes, but another big reason is it slows the air down in the box allowing the box itself to give less, because the pressure hitting the sides isn't as much. When the air comes off the back of your speaker it can literally cause boxes to break, I have seen this although rare it can happen. Also if you put your hand on your box you feel your box vibrate a bit also, it helps stop that, also by doing so your actual woofer take less energy loss, and therefore becomes more efficent, is it noticable not a whole lot in most cases, but I find it worth the $5 every time.
            1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

Re: Filled &quot;stuffed boxes&quot; poly-filling?

Almost all of the stuff that has been said is true. I wouldn't recommend the roll type house insullation though. Its too compacted. Which brings up my point, when you stuff the box, be sure to keep it loose. Loose as can be. But spray it with some adhesive or some way to keep the stuffing from moving around inside the box. Get some of this wrapped around your voice coil and you'd be in trouble.

Oh and I know the passenger side box is larger then driver's side....and I believe it's still under a full cuft. My guess is .8cuft. I'd use 10oz of stuffing TOPS. You can email Steve and I'm sure he will be quick to answer. (founder of subthump)
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
                I wouldn't recommend the roll type house insullation though. Its too compacted.
                That is also a good point, cars also move around it can fall around, also regular roll type insulation can get moldy, not a good idea in your car!

Never thought of the spary to hold the stuffing in place, good idea, I guess I just never keep anything long enough to have to. But yes be CAREFUL not to overpack it or you will actually hurt the sound of your speakers, because it still takes up precious air space.

Comment

how do you determin what 10 oz is? weight it?

Comment

Originally posted by 01PewterDropTop
                    how do you determin what 10 oz is? weight it?
                    Doesn't need to be exact you will get a package generally between 12,14,16,18,24 oz, guess from there doesn't ned to be perfect.

For basic all around a common recomendation is 1 - 1.5lbs per cuft.
                    I like to think just put it in till it fills the box nicely and yet loosely.

Worse comes to worse try it take the sub back out and take some out.

With expierience you will start getting the perfect amount every time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X