I do not understand why my system does this....help me get to the bottom of it. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I do not understand why my system does this....help me get to the bottom of it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not understand why my system does this....help me get to the bottom of it.

I posted on here a while back when I had my 2 12" Kicker Comps w/ a Pioneer 800 watt amp (my first budget system)

The problem I had is that any time I would crank the volume and there was heavy bass, the subs would cut in and out. I was told it was overheating but that didnt make any sense to me b/c it did it no matter how long it had been on and I already have 0 gauge wiring and plus, it was just 800 watts.

Now I have a 12" L5 powered by a Viper D600.1 (1200watts at 1 ohm) and the same thing is happening. Any time there is heavy bass the sub will cut in and out. It's getting to be kind of annoying b/c this gear is pretty expensive and I dont like when I cant even crank it for all my friends to hear.
    1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Re: I do not understand why my system does this....help me get to the bottom of it.

Sorry....mods please move this to Electronics.
    1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

Re: I do not understand why my system does this....help me get to the bottom of it.

its because you are clipping and your amp is turning on its protection, either turn the gain down or get a bigger amp

Comment

Originally posted by bah
        its because you are clipping and your amp is turning on its protection, either turn the gain down or get a bigger amp
        I think it may be an issue of a shortage of electrical power. The more you demand of the amplifiers, the more electrical power they require and you probably are using the same battery etc that the car came with. Just for the hell of it, monitor the charge gauge when up pump
        up the bass.
        Phil

Comment

Originally posted by bah
          x2 That's more than likely what's going on.
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2287597

:( SOLD! NO LONGER A CAMARO OWNER :(

Comment

and a bad ground can also cause this....... wherever u grounded it, make sure its not just like right on top of paint.... if it is, sand around it..... iv installed many and iv had this problem several times..... like i said it may not be it but its a possibility

Comment

if u have a multimeter
              test how many volts AT the amp terminals while OFF
              then put a stress load on the amp, and while its hitting or "clipping" check it again, if ur voltage drops lower than like 11.0 its probably a bad ground, i have seen them test at 14, with the car running and the stereo all turned down, and then turn it up and it would drop to like 7

Comment

Here is a simple list of things to check it with-

1- test the voltage of the power cable and remote turn on lead when its idle and when its pounding, if you drop below about 11.5 you are going to need an alternator, possibly a battery and I would recomend a Capacitor.

2- if the voltage stays fine, check your amp temp, it is possible you are over running it, although its hard to get DEI's amps to trigger, it does happen. And that amp is NOT 1200watts, and the Pioneer was NOT 800 Watts. The Viper 600.1 is a 600 watts at 14.4 Volts at 1ohm. 1200 is peak power. The pioneer was probably 300-400 watts depending on its model..

But never the less the Viper amp is more than powerful enough for that sub, so you shouldn't be having an issue there..

Another thing to check is your ground, make dead sure you have a really solid and nice metal on metal contact! This is almost too important.

Also with an amp that small 0-gauge is a little big, you could use 4-gauge and be perfectly fine. But being you have it don't get rid of it!
                1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

moving...

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                  Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

your GROUND....where do you have your ground from the amp hooked up?? If you dont already remove your back seat (its 1 bolt) ....put a EYE on the ground wire and loop it onto the bolt that holds the seat down then tighten her down. This makes the ground the whole frame. If the subs still cut in and out...its not your ground and post back here
                    Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Kidcamaro98
                      your GROUND....where do you have your ground from the amp hooked up?? If you dont already remove your back seat (its 1 bolt) ....put a EYE on the ground wire and loop it onto the bolt that holds the seat down then tighten her down. This makes the ground the whole frame. If the subs still cut in and out...its not your ground and post back here
                      Not a bad place to do it if you can keep the cable short enough, but don't forget to use a brush or something to take the paint off, you want a nice and gorgeous silver connection there!
                      1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

correct....forgot to add that part thanks!
                        Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

Problem solved. Turned gain down and "bass eq" up....she pounds now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X