Welding with an AMP & My first install - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding with an AMP & My first install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding with an AMP & My first install

Ok, so I am installing the first of three AMPs. This is my first install, and I have a question about an AMPs natural state.

Ok, what I mean by that, so you have an amp control lead. From what I understand, this is just a conductivity test lead (low volt), to turn on the amp. My question is, if this lead is NOT connected, is the amp on, or off?

The why. This unit is used, and so I am doing a quickie install just to test and make sure it’s happy. Got the positive on, and am about to connect the ground (to the amp, all other power leads are connected), and I stop, saying to my self “Wait, what if it’s on, this could be messy.” So I just tap the wire quickly to the terminals bolt down. Whooee, I could be welding with this. :)

So, either the amps natural state is on, and the control lead turns it off, or I have a toasted amp???

Sorry, ya, I’m a newb.

P.S. I REAAALY don't want to pull the HU out right now untill I am ready to do the whole car. The ting is a bastard, so if I do have to have it connected, is there something in the car it can be connected to (ground, positive)?
    1997 Camaro RS<br />Home Brew CAI

Re: Welding with an AMP &amp; My first install

The Remote Lead, is a turn on lead, its a low amp 12Volt line, that gets power when your deck turns on, and tells the amp to turn on, otherwise it would be on all the time and drain your battery. So yes connect that wire to the Remote Turn on lead of your deck, make sure its not the Power Antenna, although sometimes they use the same line. if they have two alot of times it wont be powered unless you have it on FM! Lol I have been in a hurry a few times and done that one.
    1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

Connect the ground to the amp first, Then connect the 12V power wire to the amp. im not totally sure, but i dont think it'll spark if you do that, atleast mine doesnt. your going to need to hook up your RCA cables to the back of your headunit anyway so mine as well hook up the remote wire while your back there.

Comment

I installed the control wire, and as recommended by another person, I disconnected the lead from the battery, and then connected all of my other leads.

I then reconnected the lead at the battery. It blow the !90! amp fuse. So hard that the fuse exploded in the casing.

WTF? It’s only a 300W amp....
        1997 Camaro RS<br />Home Brew CAI

Comment

with wielding in general(arch) you'd wanna disconnect the return on ya battery
          Drive it like I stole it

Comment

Originally posted by BloodBlight
            I then reconnected the lead at the battery. It blow the !90! amp fuse. So hard that the fuse exploded in the casing.

WTF? It’s only a 300W amp....
            It doesn't matter what the fuse rating is at all. If you have a short the fuse will blow, odds are this is what happened at some point. Thats why its so important to have a fuse! I actually told a friend of mine to go buy a fuse before he wired his amp in his '87 TA he didn't listen and ran his power cable through a door hinge, and shorted it, therefore exploding his battery and causing about $900 worth of parts damage under the hood and a nice little fire, he is lucky it didn't eat his wiring harness..

Comment

the monsoon leads say they are fused, i temp spliced mine to power my little audiobahn 4004t, they are fused correct? if so where are the fuses. the wires dont seem to be getting hot at all, so i think i'm fine as far as that goes, and then just get a power wire when my budget allows

Comment

Originally posted by bah
                the monsoon leads say they are fused, i temp spliced mine to power my little audiobahn 4004t, they are fused correct? if so where are the fuses. the wires dont seem to be getting hot at all, so i think i'm fine as far as that goes, and then just get a power wire when my budget allows
                Yes they are fused, I never really thought about doing that, but I guess it would work temp... But get a power cable in there lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X