Question about speakers in Monsoon system. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about speakers in Monsoon system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about speakers in Monsoon system.

Okay. I replaced my sail and door speakers with 4-ohm speakers (Infinity Reference in the doors and Kicker in the sails) but left the 4" ones in the hatch alone since they are mostly filler.

Well.....the 4" speakers I can hear more of now (almost drowns out the door speakers a bit) and when I turn up the volume it seems like I lose a bit of power to my sail speakers. (Those are the ones I notice the most). The bass seems to "go down". Adjusting the fade a bit to the front balances out the high ends just fine but it still seems like the higher I turn up the volume the more bass I lose. Weird.

I was wondering if my issue has anything to do with the fact that instead of originally having six 2-ohm speakers all around I now have four 4-ohm speakers and two 2-ohm speakers.

Will that mess with the power distribution at all to the 4-ohm speakers at all? Do I need to replace the 4" hatch speakers with 4-ohm ones to correct the problem? Am I even making any sense?
    1999 Camaro V6 3.8L A4<br />Red, T-tops, Monsoon<br />No mods.......yet.

Re: Question about speakers in Monsoon system.

The stock fronts are 2 Ohm.
    The 4” in the back are 4 Ohm.
    The reason there is a “volume drop” in the fronts is the load difference. Essentially, the 4 Ohms you put in put about half the load on the amp (basically they are at half the power of your old ones).

I don’t have me new amp(s) yet, so to elevate the problem I put resistors on each of the back speakers. There was some worry that this would cause the resistors to heat up, and possibly burn out, but the ones I chose have a large ceramic encasing, and don’t even get warm.

This is what I got:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

My local store had them in stock, total of $5, and about 30 Min of soldering. If you do this though, do it in a way that they can be removed, and tape them up reeeeal good! If they grond to the frame, POOOOF!
    1997 Camaro RS<br />Home Brew CAI

Comment

Oh, and I was reading your other post, I don’t know much about enclosures and porting, but I know then I have my doors apart, and I take my speakers out (while running), all of my bass goes bye bye.

With those grommets in between the sail subs, and the frame, maybe it is causing a base drop. I THINK it needs to be sealed to give you the biggest kick, especially at higher volumes. But I would ask one of the savvy folks about it.

I was too cheap to by dynomat and got this “instant gutter fix” crap that is tar and tinfoil. WORKS GOOD! For $15 couldn’t complain.

Comment

the only thing bad about the resistors, is the speaker itself is still only getting about half the power the other half is going thur the resistor. he might want to check his wiring to make sure everything is in phase.

Comment

Newb question, what do you mean by “in phase”?

Comment

I'm sorry but you cannot "re-invent" the Monsoon System. I suggest U pull out the 4 ohm speakers from the doors and sell them to a friend or on Ebay and buy the Kappa speakers by Infinity as they do offer a 2ohm full range speakers. I think you can get a pair for about $100 or less.....at least they used to.
            Put back the Monsoon subwoofer in the sail too.
            Phil

Comment

I don’t know man, I have some JL 6” in the sails (4 Ohm) and they sound DAMN good.

I have some Focals in the doors (4 Ohm) that I am running directly from the head (non-stock head) (I run the rear and the subs on the monsoon). I am fairly happy with it.

Side question, how well would a modern head unit respond to having a 2 Ohm speaker (such as the Kappa) plugged directly to the HU? Well.. Even if you choose to upgrade your amp later (and do go with the Kappa now), all you would need it a 4 Channel amp that was stable at 4 X 2 Ohms and you would still be good. Though if you don’t have 2 Ohms in the back, they would be half as loud or I guess you could always adjust the amp level… Ok, shutting up, I’m rambling…

Comment

I wouldn't run an aftermarket head unit at 2-ohms stereo. Yes it will work but who knows for how long...not recommended. You can run an aftermarket 4-channel amp at 2-ohms stereo (all four channels at 2-ohms)with no problems. Most, if not all aftermarket amps are made to run 2-ohm stereo.
                2006 Tiburon

Comment

positives hooked to positives, negitives hooked to negitives. if not one speaker is pushing when the other in pulling. they aren't working together. it really effectives the bass. what happens as you turn it up the highs it louder but the bass not so much.

Comment

Ahhhh, ok, that makes sence. :)

Comment

Thanks for the replys everyone.

I think I will go ahead and "seal" up the sail speakers since my little rubber washers now make them raised off the metal just about 1/8". It might help, I mean its not like the area behind the speakers are "sealed".

I'm not going to put back my stock sail speakers. I replaced them because they were blown. Hell all 4 were blown.

Right now my system sounds great. The bass from my Kickers still does some weird stuff but I can live with it for now. Time for a crash course in electronics. I may try the resistors on the 4" hatch speakers. Not a bad idea.

Does anyone think that replacing the rear 4" speakers with some 4-ohm'ers will help out with my bass weirdness? That way every speakers is at 4-ohms. Or would throwing in some resistors to the new 4-ohm speaks to bring them down to 2-ohm would be better?
                      1999 Camaro V6 3.8L A4<br />Red, T-tops, Monsoon<br />No mods.......yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X