Amp is overheating from the sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp is overheating from the sun

I have my amp on the rear deck right underneath the rear window, and it goes into protection mode after it has been in the sun for a while. After I get out of school, I open up my car and it is pretty hot inside. I then touch the amp and it could possibly give me burns. I even tried putting a blanket over it to keep the sun off it, but that didn't help. It still goes into protection mode after turning on my head unit, and it takes a few minutes of driving around before it will turn on and power my subs. Is there any way to keep the amp cool besides getting tint? My dad is being a real ******* about me getting tint, he thinks I will get pulled over and it won't pass inspection (weird, because my friend's Mustang with tint passed inspection just fine). I know of the mat that chet has from usspeedonline.com, but that is very expensive and I'm not even sure if it will work. Are there any other ways to solve this problem? The amp is a Viper D1200.1.
    <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Re: Amp is overheating from the sun

Do you have a couple subs that already have the whole trunk? I would never put subs or amps in clear view of the rear hatch window, thats just asking for your car to get broken into. Get the tint job if you want to, but I'll kinda agree with your dad, cars with really dark tinted windows is an easy target for cops, alot of people that sell drugs and do other illegal activities tint their windows. I keep my amp and sub in trunk and havent have any problems with overheating.

Comment

Try to get tint it will keep the interior cooler, next get a pair of these crossflow fans so when yo u start the car they start to spin and cool off the amp.

You can put one on each end...

http://cgi.ebay.com/STINGER-12V-CROS...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

my amp is in the bottom of trunk under my sub box and even when my car gets really hot mya mp stays cool
        I am the merciless God of anything that stirs in my universe!!!!

Comment

man if u can get a picture of how you did that i would be impressed, or for anyone that has their amp mounted anywhere other than the rear deck. i dont have a problem with it overheating, but i have a problem with it being in complete plain sight through that window. It is just advertising to thieves to break in and jack it.
          Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

Viper amps are a good amp I wont lie, but they are a hot running amp to start with. You might want to consider even on top of everything else getting a amp with a few fans already in them. But they are right here also get that thing out of the sun, baking there all day gets it really really hot, especially being its all nice and chrome on top there...
            1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

Well for my birthday I am getting tint, but only on my rear window. I want to go really dark, maybe 5%? This should help out a little bit, we'll see if it still overheats after the tint is put on.
              <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

My amp is also on my rear deck. I just installed it a couple of weeks ago. I have tints but they're not very dark so I have a clean floor mat that i throw over the amp when I get out of the car. I know that does nothing for the overheating problem, but it helps for the theiving one. I'm dreading the day when the weather gets warmer and I drive off forgetting to take off the floor mat off the amp.

Comment

Most of my personal sub amps are just far larger and more powerful then they need to be.. If I am looking for 600 watts, it not unnormal for me to buy 1000 watt amp. Even my main component speakers are getting 125 watts a piece, and my gains are set so low... Works great, amps never get warm, they never clip, and all that extra power just keeps it all that much cleaner sounding. But you have to be prepared to spend the cash.

Comment

You still havent told us how many subs you have or what size they are. 5% tint will give you a good chance of getting pulled over, check your local laws about tinting.

Comment

I have 2 12" L5s in a T-top box. And the back window can be as dark as you want it to be as long as you have 2 side mirrors.

Comment

Originally posted by Earnhardt132000
                        I have 2 12" L5s in a T-top box. And the back window can be as dark as you want it to be as long as you have 2 side mirrors.
                        I am not trying to offend you here, but are your subs dual 4ohm or 2ohm? Do you know how they are wired?

Just making sure you arn't underloading your amp, seen it too many times, and that causes over heating problems very quickly.

Like I said not trying to offend but checking to verify to be better help.

Comment

They are DVC 4ohm, wired parallel/parallel, running at 1ohm. I did my homework before shopping. I'm almost positive its just the sun because it has been raining here the past week and it hasn't overheated once.

Comment

Ya you should be good that amp is 1ohm stable and thats how you are running it. Ya it has to be mostly that then. Ya get her out of the sun, man that has got to be getting that thing hotter than heck if it makes that big of a difference, but I do believe it, seen it so. Try the tint, if that doesn't work and you are decent with wood, make a little box for it alone, and drop some fans on each end of it, blowing 1 direction not both out, and have those turn on when your amp comes on, that will change your world again, and kinda give it a pretty well hidden look.

Good luck

Comment

I have heard of alot of the DEI products kick into protect when they are at a low ohm. I had a 2500D in my S10 and was running it a 1ohms and it kicked off alot. This was hooked up to a planet audio big bang dual 2 ohms.So i sent it back to them and they sent me a new one( I still had some warrentee left so that was good) And i am still using it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X