Question about lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about lights

I drive a Firebird, so its the flip-up headlights. This never used to happen, just started happening since I got the car back on the road after a winter break. When I turn the headlights knob all the way to the right, the lights don't pop up, but it acts as though I just put it to the parking lights. So I have to turn it back to the left all the way, and then back to the right to get the lights to pop up and turn on. I'm not sure why it is doing this, and really isn't a big deal. But I'd like to get it back to where I would only need to turn the knob to the right once to get them to pop up and turn on.
    <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Re: Question about lights

Does it do this EVERY single time now?

This has happened to me two or three times over the period of 6 years. Obviously never pin pointed anything because it doesn't do it very often. If it doesn't do this every time, my guess would be the headlight switch itself. It probably occasionally doesn't quite make contact the first time. If this issue happens every time you use the headlights, the switch is fine. First thing I would do it use a multimeter at the headlight motors and see if they get power the first time you throw the switch and they don't move. Start following the troubleshooting chain.
    Last edited by 96firebird311; 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM.
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

I had this happen to me with my passenger headlight. It eventually quit working all together. I ordered a new headlight motor without even checking the one in there and realized that wasn't smart because it was not fixed when I swapped them out. It then started to happen to me with the drivers side. I ordered a relay off ebay and it cleared up the drivers side but the passenger still did not work. I just ordered another off ebay thinking I got a busted relay but no change at all. I think there must be a problem with wiring. Not sure what to do and know I dont want to go to dealership because they will rape me. Has this happened to anyone else and were able to fix it?
      Originally posted by kala
      I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
      parting her out

Comment

My driver side head light does this especially when it rained. Mine was the connecter was getting water in it and corroding up so i too some battery terminal cleaner and sprayed it on it and covered it in tape and have had a problem since. I dont know if it will work for you but it never hurts to try it.

Comment

Alright, I'll check the connections of everything. I thought maybe it was a setting that could be changed like the alarm settings or something.
          <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

So does it do it EVERY time you turn on the lights?
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

Mine did it almost every time and now it just doesn't work at all.

TEAM BLACK!!!
              parting her out

Comment

Yup, every time. I just went out there and went all the way to the right - nothing. Went left then right again, they popped up. Then I went all the way to the left again, and back right. Nothing - so I went left again and right again and they came back up again.

Comment

Does your headlight motors have any signals that run through the Integrated Body Control Module, BCM? I'm just trying to link a few of my problems together and possibly Earnhardts also.

TEAM BLACK!!!
                  parting her out

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X