stuff for the big 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuff for the big 3

ok well i am probably about to do the big 3 for my car cause headlight dimming is just starting to get on my nerves... so what all am i gonna need for this.. i know 4 gauge wire... but about how many feet? and also will i need any special distributing boxes or anything.. i've seen a camaro that had them like that.. or will i need anything special to hook up the bigger wire to the battery? also! does anyone have any pics of where the wires you change are... i know its(1) battery to ground...(2) engine block to battery? (3) alt to battery? thanks alot
    1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Re: stuff for the big 3

im not giving you advice, but

theres several ground wires that hook up to the block, 1 on right (passeng) front side of head, 1 on back of the left (drivers) front side of head (egr)
    and one on the back of the left head
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

About 8' should do. 2.5-3' each for bat to alt and gnd to engine, and a foot for bat to gnd.

I used the ground terminal that the bat goes to to connect stuff. Unscrew it from the car and sand the primer a bit to get to bare metal there to make sure it has good contact. A bit of bulb grease smeared will keep it from corroding. For the engine I hooked to the head of the alternator bracket bolt.

You might need battery terminal extender posts depending on how much you have hooked up to the terminals. They look nice too :)
      Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
      Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

You can call Jegs or Summit Racing, they carry 2-gauge grounding straps which are alot nicer to deal with then 4-gauge cable, and you can buy them in sets for your vehicle. Then just run the cable and such to your battery and alt.
        1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

grounding straps... what are these? lol
          1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

There is so much wiring you can do to ground the car. Upgrading batt to ground, alt to batt, and engine to ground are good starting points. while you're at it, ground the pcm to the same ground as the batt, ground the alt to the same spot, and anything else that isn't grounded, such as ignition boxes, underbody lights, ect.
            2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

you add the extra 4 gauge wire to the stock? thats some thick wire
              2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

will somebody that has done this chime in... lol im still confused as to which wires u do for the big 3.... bat to ground....alt to bat... and which wire that goes to the block?

Comment

anybody? im lookin to do this within the next week

Comment

The biggest 3 you can do are you ground to body, battery to alt, and battery to fuse box I would guess.....

Grounding staps, are alot alike the little grounding straps you have to your block now from the factory, open weaved flat cable, with ends on them. They are alot more flexible, I think the set runs like $50-$60 or so.. And I think they come in 2gauge.
                    1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

no its the big 3 for systems... i know what it is.. its bat to alt...bat to ground.. and bat to engine block.. i just dont know where the wire on the engine block is...

Comment

I did this last week on my car and this is what i did along with a cap and my lights dont dim anymore. bat to grnd, bat to pos term, and batt to alt. i bought all of my stuff from a seller on ebay pm me if u want his name. i used 4ft of stinger 4ga wire, 2 stinger gm batt terminals, and a couple packs of spades.
                        1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                        1994 Camaro - Sold
                        1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Does any place online sell the same kind of stock side mount battery connectors? I personally don't like the look of any terminals mounted on top, let along the ugly connectors that go along with them. The side mounts make for a nice clean look. All the pre-made kits out there seem to only come with the top mounts. Is it possible to buy the stock type and make the cable yourself? And my car has three cables on the positive terminal, one goes to the starter, one to the alternator, and the last goes to the accessory fuse box, when then has another short cable that connects to yet another fuse box. So I guess I'd need a three way connector and one single connector for my negative side.

I'm just having a hard time finding all this hardware online or in automotive stores, any help would be appreciated, but please use links!
                          2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X