X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinger Cap

is it any good?

(the chrome one)

--i have a an extra 12v battery, but i havent made my discion on a cap or a head unit...

so for the head unit i was thinkin' about a Pioneer DEH-7300. i puts out 50x4 watts and i thin it has 4v pre-outs, it's just a temp. until i get my Alpine in dash DVD player.

--'bout the cap, if i dont go w/the Stinger then i'll prolly go w/a lightning audio or an audiobahn --options still open.

thx 4 all teh help guys

--pete
    <b>RIP:</b> 1995 green firebird <br /><br />\'00 bird soon to come...

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Stinger stuff is pretty decent. There's better, but I say if you like the price, go for it. Caps usually don't disappoint.

Comment

If it were me, I'd weigh two things first. What else do you have in your car running as far as car audio stuff? If you already have several amps drawing a lot of current, then the cap would be a good investment. If you so far just have some nice mids and highs running off deck power, but plan to add much bass down the road, then the head unit is a better investment right now. If you don't have too many amps being pulled right now, the cap won't do much for you.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

All caps are created equal, it's the logo that's different. Also, don't waste your money on a digital one. Lastly, a cap is only going to help if you have a very large amount of bass. Caps do next to nothing when it comes to mids and highs, hence the reason they are 1.0 farad per 1000w of power. Unless you've got gobs of bass and lights dimming and staying dim throughout the whole bass note, you don't need a cap.

As far as the head unit goes, you are aware that 50x4 is max power right? This equals somewhere around 22-25rms per channel. On top of that most decks start to clip about 3\4 volume. If you've got stock speakers this should be fine, however if you have aftermarket speakers just get a decent deck and a medium quality 4 channel amp.

Finally, that extra battery is just going to be another drain on your alternator. Plus, unless you have the before mentioned insane amount of bass that would require you to get a cap, you needn't bother with the extra battery.

Do it right and go ALL out the FIRST time. This will save you money down the road when you realize you want more.

·George·

Comment

i have mad bass and mad power. here is my system:

-Eclipse Reciever
          Kicker Resolution Door Speakers
          Kicker XS 100 (1400 Watt Amp)
          2 Kicker ZR 240 (400 Watt Amps)
          Kicker X3i Crossover
          -2 Kicker KQ30 Equalizers
          -Stinger 1 Farad Cap
          1x 12v Battery
          Dynamat All Around
          Custom Flush Enclosure Box
          2 12" Solo-Baric S12L7s With Grills
          2 9" Blue Neons Around Subs
          2 12" Blue Neons Under Each Dash
          Blue Interior Lights
          Bass Control, Highs, Mids, and Neon Toggle Switches Up Front

the eclipse reciever is temp. so you think the poineer DEH-7300 is good?

btw, im good on the cap

thx

--pete

Comment

Depending which Eclipse head unit, I would likely keep it over the Pioneer! I love Eclipse, for SQ and big bass, Eclipse is great! So clean! What model?
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

i really don't know cuz it's my friends and he's letting me borrow it for the install.

Comment

Pete, nice system. No offense, but if you're here looking for opinions on the pioneer deck, perhaps you should make your own post for that. It would allow you to get more attention on that because it would be devoted to your topic. Plus it would allow props to your system instead of taking over someone else's post. The list of equipment is nice, but a simple opinion with a reason to back it up is always more useful to the poster than taking over their post for opinions on your own things. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, not to be a hypocrite: Stinger makes good stuff. They're kinda pricey usually, but they make good stuff. As for a cap, with what I've seen, a cap is a cap. They all do the same thing and they're more or less made by the same company but a different sticker is put on it.

If you're asking if you should add a cap or replace the deck, I'd have to say add the cap. The pioneer is not likely an upgrade to an eclipse deck. If you already have some amps that are drawing some power, you should put a cap on your system before you hurt something. If you don't have that and you'll need it, might as well get it now, you'll need it at some point. Don't replace a deck that you're just going to replace again. That's just not worth it in the long run.

HTH
                Mike<br />\'99 Z28 LS1 (383 in the works) M6<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/\" target=\"_blank\">stereo pics</a> Almost sold, the amps are still for sale - make an offer.<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/paypal.html\" target=\"_blank\">Help Mike pay for his engine. Every dollar helps!</a>

Comment

I have an article from a couple of years ago where a magazine tested a number of capacitors, even cut them open to see how each compared. I will find the article before I post any ratings to avoid miss information; however, I do remember that there was quite a differece in the internal make up of the different brands. For example, some were more than half empty inside while others were full :eek: . But like I said, I will try to find the article before I state any details incorrectly.

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: Backfire ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>instead of taking over someone else's post. <hr></blockquote>

well, if you didn't notice this is my post. and like i said before, the eclipse deck is temp., so what deck do you recommend?

thx

--pete

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X