Wiring, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring, please help

i am puttin a sub in my car(1997 firebird v6) with the stock head unit, and i had to splice the rear speaker wires because it doesn't have the RCA jacks in the back of the hu. Does anyone know what color wires are the positive and negative for both sides, i noticed there is different colors on both sides, i believe on the passenger side, there is dark blue and a baby blue, and on the drivers side rear, there is yellow and a brown, can somone tell me which is positive and which is negative. Thanks a lot. And, i have sh!tty 6.5 jensens in the back,, with a stock head unit, is it even worth putting any more than the 28 bucks a pair speakers i put in, they actually seemed to compliment the stock hu quite well, and now i just want a decently cheap set for the fronts, the stock ones suck thanks again. MY first question is much more important though, thanks.
    99TA

I'm looking at the Haynes manual right now, and for some reason it doesn't specify which is (+) and which is (-). I would guess the dark blue and the brown wire is the (-) and the light blue and the yellow wire is (+). Honestly it really doesn't matter too much, your speakers will just fire inward instead of outward. If they fire inward, just switch the wires, if you want to do it perfect.
    For your second question, You would probably notice a great difference with a higher quality pair of speakers. I have never had a facory head unit with good speakers, normally the first thing I do is yank that POS out and put a good one in. But I'm sure could tell a difference between good and bad speakers off the factory unit. From my experience with stereos, and anything really, It's always better to go with the better quality stuff first. You will probably end up spending more money and effort in the long run if you go all cheep stuff and work your way up.

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: camaro_speedemon ]</p>
    <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

it doesn't matter one will work and one won't it won't blow nothing just plug it in one way it will work the other it won't [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NBMTransam:
        i am puttin a sub in my car(1997 firebird v6) with the stock head unit, and i had to splice the rear speaker wires because it doesn't have the RCA jacks in the back of the hu. <hr></blockquote>
        So..... because the stock head unit does not have RCA outs, you are splicing into the rear speaker wires to power a sub? Are you even using an amp??? I assume so because you asked about RCAs but what good would the speaker leads do you? Does your amp have line level inputs? You need a line output converter. It will convert your speaker wires into RCAs. You can get one just about anywhere. Give us some more details on what exactly you are doing.
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

His amp probably came with low level inputs (RCAs) and high level inputs (I guess what you would call line level inputs.)

From what I've heard the sound quality will not be as good using high level inputs, although this doesn't really matter to you since you don't have the option of real RCA outputs.

The line output converter is a small box with RCA jacks on one side and 4 wires on the other. It should also have dials to adjust the level. You're essentailly going to do the same you originally tried: wire the 4 wires to the left and right rear speaker wires (I did this right behind the HU.) Then you'll just plug your RCA cables into the line output converter and than your amp.

Oh, and Jensen speakers SUCK
          I believe the stock ones are better than Jensens
          ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, i guess it really doesn't matter what color is which then. I am trying to sell my car now so i can care less really what kinda speakers are in the doors and behind the front seat, but they give absolutely no bass at all, so i wanted to add a lil bass to it, if anyone knows for sure what wire is positive and negative that would be cool as well. Thanks. I guess if i wanted to hear some good tunes i would just have to come in my house and listen to my home theater setup that was over 1500 in bose equipment.
            99TA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X