NEW JL's ..STILL BUZZING? HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW JL's ..STILL BUZZING? HELP!

ok i replaced my JL audios yesterday because at low volume they made a buzzing sound..so warranty covered them....and when i was on my way home with the new JLs, one of them started buzzing again! whats going on?> I had to go all he way back and The audio place couldnt figure it out..and said its the amp and i need a new one..but the amp is only 4 months old and its a Rock Fosgate 160.2. Are they BSing me? Anyone have any idea?> Its really annoying and its only on one of the 12s. please help me!

BTW im still using the stock head unit cuz all these audio places cant get sound from my speakers becasue of the Monsoon! grrrr

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: arnaldo ]</p>
    2003 Fire Red Dakota R/T 5.9<p>V-Force Exhaust<br />Custom Cold Air Intake

Well one of 2 things, first being a bad ground to your AMP and second you have two wires crossing over each other somewere. Say your power wire is touching or next to your speaker wire? Or a ground crossing over a hot somewere. You must run all your wires apart from each other or you will eventually get this humming sound in your subs, doesn't hurt anything it is just annoying as he!! :D

And don't let them tell you it's the amp cause that is B.S. they tried to tell me the same thing, but knowing better I told them they were full of crap and I do my own installing now ;)

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: RedbirdV6 ]</p>
    97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

It sounds like it's electrical interference more than a defective amp. Redbird pretty much covered it. Check out all the wires going to the amp and make sure theyre separated. and not crossing over another wire or something.

In a power audio system, wiring is just as important as the components themselves.

Good luck and keep us updated!

-Mike
      <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

ok guys thanks for your help! Al and Ed's did the wiring..should i take it to them with my problem? Or lift all the carpeting and look for 2 wires next to each other and try to move em? im an idiot when it comes to stuff like this..and MIKE, what should i do about an aftermarket HU not working? They aslo said i need a rewiring job(they are FOS) and i told them its ok i dont need it...so off i go to Al and Eds...kepp ya posted when i get back..k later guys!

Comment

All you have to do to get an aftermarket head unit to work is put in new door speakers etc.... and wire them to the head unit :D
          97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

Ok, from working in car audio for 4 years now, it is VERY possible to add a nice stereo system even if you have the monsoon. Monsoon is good, but it is still just a stock system, if you want more, replace it. You'll just have to rewire a lot. As far as your noise goes, the factory head units using an LOC do have a high rat of noise. I don't care if it's a 1000 dollar amp, it can make noise if it is getting its signal from a facory unit running an LOC. Also, the only wires to worry about crossing are your main power wire, and your RCA's. Your speaker wires will rarely if ever be the problem sicne they are carrying a different type of signal than the RCA's. Make sure your power cables (power and remote) are running on one side of your vehicle, they can be ran next to each other, and your signal cables (RCA's and any speaker wires) on the other side of the car. Also, check to make sure your ground is as short as possible, a ground longer than a foot and a half can emit noise easily. Those are the biggest things I usually find wrong with cars. Hope that'll help a bit.
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

is the ground wire the black one? if so, it seems really long...also i took it to Al and eds and they said theyve never heaerd anything like it before...and said to return when their supervisor is in..so i gotta wait till later today hopefully to fix this problem. Thanks for all the info guys!

Comment

Yes... the black one is the ground, and it should be as short as possible. I doubt that's causing the buzzing, though.

Since It's only 1 of the speakers buzzing, I'm not so sure it's electrical intereference between the battery and the amp, or the signal and the amp, but it doesn't rule it out. I'm pretty much stumped.

Let us know what Al & Ed have to say and maybe we can figure something out from there.
                <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

If it's only one speaker buzzing...It's probably won't be anything from head unit to the amp. Check your speaker wire from the amp to the subs. Make suire one didn;t get drilled through. And if all is well, check the amp out of the car. Most car audio retailers have a bench test station to check each channel on your amp. One of your channels may be going out.
                  <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

If its just the subwoofer buzzing, try cleaning the dust out of it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Trust me on this. :D
                    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheCardinal:
                      If its just the subwoofer buzzing, try cleaning the dust out of it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Trust me on this. :D
                      <hr></blockquote>

ahh Card I've tried it all! Considering i am a Musician, i need superb SQ and its very annoying to have this "buzz". At first it was the RIGHT Sub...than we put brand new JLs in and tried Bridging or somethin like that where instead of 4 wires to 4 holes, we put 2 wires on the far inside and far outside plug thingys on the amp. Than the buzzing happened on the LEFT SUB. I am extremely busy today and cannot head over to the AL and EDs untill tomorrow, so any one else got any ideas? your help is greatly appreaciated!

Comment

Any update from Al or Ed yet bud?

-Mike

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MTMike:
                          Any update from Al or Ed yet bud?

-Mike
                          <hr></blockquote>

hey man. eh i have this crappy cold so i couldnt go see em this weekend. Ima head over there tomarrow sometime during the day..lets see what they have to say...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by arnaldo:
                            and far outside plug thingys on the amp. <hr></blockquote>

Lol, that is some scary terminology.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by megabass:

Lol, that is some scary terminology.
                              <hr></blockquote>

ROFL! Is this better ," The Positive from one channel and the negative from the other. " ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X