need help w/sub install to factory deck - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help w/sub install to factory deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help w/sub install to factory deck

What's up fellas, I'm new to the forum so bare with me. I need somebody to tell me the best way to hook up a couple subwoofers to my factory deck. By the way, It's the Monsoon system. But anyway, I have my subs and amp hooked up right now but I'm not sure It's the correct way. All I did was tap into the sail panel speakers and ran it to the line level converter (which is already built into my amp). I first tried tapping into the rear speakers but it sounded terrible. Everything is working alright, and it sounds pretty good, but I just think it should sound a little better. Can somebody fill me in? thanks.
    keep the wheels spinnin\' and the beavers grinnin\'

Come on guys, can somebody help me out here?!

Comment

That is a tough one. First the monsoon system is different than the one I have, second there is probably a amp somewhere driving the speakers, and the extra speakers that I don't have. If it were up to me, I would get a after market deck so that I have RCA's for the new amp to drive the subs, and somehow wire it into the amp. I just did something similiar to this on a friends 2000 mustang, that sucked... The only difference was that he and my bro had cut wires that they shouldn't have, I ended up running new wire to each speaker, then running the other ends to a amp. With a aftermarket deck ran the RCA's to drive his speakers. Whats nioce about this is that he has extra rca's for sub out puts and all he would need is a sub amp and subs.
      255/50R16 Tires, Pioneer Deck, Pioneer 4 Way speakers, PPI Amps, JL subs, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, Optima Yellow Top

Comment

Bestbuy may have a adapter wiring kit for a aftermarket deck to plug into the monsoon system, then use the RCA's to drive the amp that would drive the subs.

This is the easiest way to do it.
        255/50R16 Tires, Pioneer Deck, Pioneer 4 Way speakers, PPI Amps, JL subs, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, Optima Yellow Top

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So if I got an aftermarket deck then all I would have to do is run RCA's from the deck to the amp, no wire splicing or anything?

Comment

But then you would have to do something else with the factory speakers.
            Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

you would need the harness to wire into the stock speakers and an antena adaptor and you should be good. you wont be able to use the steering wheel controls after this though (that requires another part to wire in and it requires the hu you get to have a remote option). you would be much happer with the sound quality.
              2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

I highly recommend getting an aftermarket HU. The quality of bass kicks the crap out of your set-up. (Trust me i kno ;) ) But if you still want to keep your setup, you should tap into the wires into the back of the headunit instead of the sail panel. http://mods.firebirdv6.com/stereo.html#FBAQ_16 and you should read the rest of the guide we have.

-ed
                \"Well, we don\'t care how bad-*** some dude\'s N/A Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900+ pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you\'re gonna get a fast and furious old-school ***-whipping.\"

Comment

all you need to get is the PAC OEM-1 Adapter. it plugs into the back of your headunit, and gives you 2 sets of RCA jacks, and a remote turn on lead. It's completely plug and play. Made life a hell of a lot easier for me.
                  2002 Pewter Metallic Pontiac Firebird<br /><br />Mods: 3\" Borla Catback Exhaust, SLP Cold Air Intake, Removed Air Silencer, K&N Filter....more to come.....hopefully...

Comment

Originally posted by Razzer:
                    second there is probably a amp somewhere driving the speakers
                    Black box under the spare tire panel. Passenger side. 99redbird, the problem is that you are taking the signal AFTER that distortion box GM likes to call an amp. You need to take the signal before it gets to the amp. The PAC OEM1 will connect to the rear of the headunit and give you RCA outs... which you will need to run to your amp. And of course a new aftermarket headunit would have RCA outs on it as well. If you don't want to buy anything special, just extend the wires from behind the headunit to your amp's inputs. Basically, same as you are doing now... just BEFORE the monsoon amp.
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

One can piggyback the wires going into the monsoon amp. This way, you don't need to pull as much wire (just power) all the way back to your amp (which will probably go back there anyway).

Also, does anyone know if the plug in the back of the headunit is the same as the plug going into the amp? Do they have the same pinouts? I don't recall.

What I used was a PAC SNI-35 (any adjustable line out converter would probably do) and put that on the correct wires at the amp (signal from the head unit). Refer to the FAQ for this. Since the signal from the head unit is kinda faint (for speaker level anyway), it is suggested that you turn the lineout to about 3/4. Too high may cause distortion, and too low may require so much gain at the amp to cause more distortion. Take these RCAs to the amp and hook the amp up to your speaker and adjust the gains at the amp accordingly.
                      Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I think I've decided to just go ahead and get an aftermarket deck though, so does anybody have any suggestions on what to get? My budget is around $300. Thanks

Comment

My advice would be alpine or pioneer. I have a pioneer HU and its the best ive had (4th HU). Ive never had alpine but hear nothing but good things, almost everyone seems to agree on their quality... probably wouldve chosen that over mine if i thought it more attractive.

Either way you can get a very good HU for under 200. I got mine for 160, after a 20 rebate. Just remember to factor in the extra install stuff required (kit, harness, and antenna adaptor) when youre shopping around. It cost me an extra 45 for these.
                          Stock \'98 silver \"RS\"

Comment

DO NOT GET AN ALPINE!!! I have had serious issues with several of their hu's. If you want the best look into some Eclipse and Clarion hu's. Much better sound quality than pioneer and the rest. shop around internet sites because you will find much better deals.
                            2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X