Need system help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need system help

Ok, I am just now deciding to get into a system, have everything else I want, 18's nitrous, and probaly baggin it in a few months, so now I want a kicking sound system.

Here is what I am thinking.
    Some sort of HU. (dont know which one yet)
    I want 2 12's Audiobahn Flame
    I was thinkin a 1000 watt legacy amp or no?
    Will I need another battery for this set-up or what?
    I think i will be getting a subthump box, but dont know quite yet.

Because I am turning my car into a show car I want all custom stuff, where the amp/amps can mold right in with all kinds of kool goodies.

Any ideas would be great thanx

Also I am looking to spend 1500-2000 MAYBE for everything so try and fit into that price range
    thanx

[ August 24, 2003: Message edited by: 01orangebird ]</p>
    I got stuff...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/mksucum\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/mksucum</a>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 01orangebird:
    Ok, I am just now deciding to get into a system, have everything else I want, 18's nitrous, and probaly baggin it in a few months, so now I want a kicking sound system.

Here is what I am thinking.
    Some sort of HU. (dont know which one yet)
    I want 2 12's Audiobahn Flame
    I was thinkin a 1000 watt legacy amp or no?
    Will I need another battery for this set-up or what?
    I think i will be getting a subthump box, but dont know quite yet.

Because I am turning my car into a show car I want all custom stuff, where the amp/amps can mold right in with all kinds of kool goodies.

Any ideas would be great thanx

Also I am looking to spend 1500-2000 MAYBE for everything so try and fit into that price range
    thanx

[ August 24, 2003: Message edited by: 01orangebird ]
    <hr></blockquote>

well I'm no audio buff, BUT I can tell you I bought Legacy speakers and they were absolute sh*t. They blew in 3 days. Then when I tried to turn it in for a warranty, I couldn't get a hold of anybody, and it wouldn't let me register my speakers online. I wouldn't buy anything with the Legacy name on it. Just my opinion and personal experience
    millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

Ok, thanx for the info, but I need some advanced options for thi system
      I got stuff...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/mksucum\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/mksucum</a>

Comment

If you're talking about fiberglass and an all out sweet install, your gonna be spending alot more than 2k, I can tell you that right now. I have a little over $1k in stereo stuff already. My amps and subs were bought used, and I paid $280 my cost for a nice flashy HU(I get stuff 15% above cost). And I built the box myself, the install looks like butt, but I'm having my friends shop redo it either this month or next month.

If you want a good sounding loud system, look to spend $700-1,000 on just materials. For a molded fiberglass box if that's what your talking about, I honestly don't know how much they cost, but I do know they are a lot. I'll give you an example, I can get a custom nice looking carpet trim job/box with a few lights for about $200-300, again that's much cheaper than most people will pay, because I'm on a DB drag team with a local stereo shop and get stuff dirt cheap. My other friend, who was a customer and I met at his shop, paid about $1k for something similar to what I'm gonna be doing for about $300. I believe that included a HU, small amp(not sure if he had it before hand or not) a custom box, got it trimmed out, and they floated his amp(gave the illusion of it floating) and a few neons. He already had 2 10" Kicker squares. All done it was nothing too impressive, but looked nice and clean. If he did fiberglass, I would guess add another $500?

If your not talking about fiberglass, I would say you could get a pretty nice looking carpet or tweed install done for around $2000. Oh yea, if you want some good deals, find the next big local car show and go. Vendors normally give pretty good deals on speakers/amps/HU and stuff like that, and you get to see some nice rides. You also get to see a bunch of different vendors and do some easy price compairing.

BTW Legacy amps suck for quality. They are ok for the price, my friend had a 800W and a 600W legacy amp, and they could barely push 3 Jenson 12's.

Edit: I should add, my idea of a perfect system would be 2 Lanzar DVC 12's, a Hifonics Hercules sub amp, Son of Boltar mids and highs amp, 2 sets of Kenwood Excelon mids and highs, and a Kenwood JVC KD-LH2000. That setup should cost you around $1500-1700 in parts, $300-$500 could get you a nice basic clean install, nothing too fancy. You would have a loud as f*k system, like 148-151 DB, and a basic show quality install. Hell, they probably will cut you a deal on the install if you're dropping that much money at one shop.

[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: camaro_speedemon ]</p>
        <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

That is the stuff I needed to hear.

Man I didnt think it would be that much to build a custom fiberglass box painted the color of my car and that will hold 3 twelves.

Man that is alot of money, but those DB numbers are off the hook. Does anyone know how much that subthump place would charge for a box for 3 twelves with the fiberglass flowing all the way up to the back of the rear seats, so it will look like one big piece?

Also how did they make the amp look like it was floating? That sounds very intresting...

Comment

First off, megabass posts here all the time. He is the owner of subthump.com He can answer any questions you might have about his products. But I'm gonna tell you flat out, he is not going to build you a fiberglass box like you are looking for. I think the only fiberglass he does is for the 12" drivers side stealth boxes.

Second, speedemon is correct. With your budget, your not gonna get a full fiberglass box and all new gear. Sorry. But don't worry, I've seen some VERY nice looking installs made from just wood and carpet. I'd go that route if I was you.

Third, I also suggest you take a second look at the equipment you are thinking of buying. Legacy is probably one of the worst companies the is. Second only to Pyramid. ;) And Audiobahn isin't much better. Yes, even the Flame line. I speak from experience.

I'll post more when I get more time..... late.
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

96 firebird is right. I don't know of any place that can ship you a fiberglass box. Most of those require having the amps on hand and using your car as the mold. If you can find someplace local, that would be the only way. Then you would have some control over how it looked.

If you want to keep it simple and affordable, yet very functional and loud, forget legacy, pyramid,pyle,etc,etc.

This is all you need right here
              http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=12&t=001911

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll second everyone elses opinion here when I say DON'T go with a Legacy amp. They might be cheap, but you defeinitely get what ou pay for.

As for the subs, I have to disagree with 96firebird311. I'm running two Audiobahn ALUM12Q's, and they pound HARD. I couldn't give you an exact DB rating, because I haven't had it tested since I installed my new box. BUt even with an absolutely sh*tty box in the back, I was hitting 133. Judging by the difference in sound now, I would have to estimate that I am hitting probably around 145. So all Audiobahn subs aren't bad. And if you know where to shop, your an get them farily reasonable.

And lastly, the box. I would definitely recommend Subthump to you, because that's what I'm running now. It might not be fiberglass, but with the right equipment, your system will still pound hard. He does great work, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone better.

Anyways, hope this helps. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Ok guys I have been doing some searching between college classes, etc.

And I have dedcided on the subs I want.
                  2 12" Competition Digital Design 9512 series subwoofers.

Since the fiberglass will be way outa my league. I have decided to go with a box from subthump I believe. I was checking out there website and saw this guy with a black camaro or firebird, cannot remeber and his box was sweet.
                  I believe he said somewhere that all that custom stuff was like 350 bucks, and since I have nothing but good things from this comapny/guy. I think sometime in the near future I will snag one.

I am going to go to a local audio place and look at some HU's, I want a new kenwood sooo thats like 350 bucks.

Also with the above DD's rated at 1200 RMS power, I am going to need hella amperage. What would you guys recommend here?

Thanks for all the help on this subject. Im a newb when it comes to systems...

Comment

VERY nice decision on subs. LOL! You went from low line subs to some damn fine ones. You HAVE been doing your homework! ;) Which Kenwood we're you looking at? And you are ordering your DD's on-line correct? If so, mise well save some money and buy your head unit, amps, wiring, etc. on-line as well. Since you have to wait on the subs anyway.....check out www.knukonceptz.com for wire. Have you already upgraded your other speakers? That's gonna be a must....and amps... we're do I begin? Post up some more and I'll help you along.
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

I have already upgraded my stock speakers to the kenwoods. It was a few months ago and I dont remember which ones they were, but they are 1 step down from the exceleon series.

And since I am going with 2 DD 12's I was thinking I will put 800 watts to each sub maybe more, so I am tryin to find a Xtant amp on ebay or maybe 2, but if I can find a 1000 watt amp for a decent price, I will put 500 to each one, which I am thinking that is plenty "bump" to rattle the windows of the car next to me!

As for headunits I was thinking 1 of the below three...
                      1.KDC-9020R
                      2.KDC-8023
                      3.KDC-MPV7023

I found this amp on ebay.
                      XTANT X1001 X Series Mono Amplifier
                      Power Rating @ 4 ohm: 500 Watts
                      Power Rating @ 2 ohm: 1000 Watts
                      Regulated Transitional Class D Technology
                      Fully Regulated PWM Power Supply
                      Complimentary MOSFET Design
                      Defeatable Balanced Input
                      Adjustable Input Sensitivity
                      24dB per octave variable Low Pass Crossover
                      RCA Outputs with 24dB/Oct Crossover
                      Phase Inversion
                      1/O Guage Power and Ground Connectors
                      Dual Speed Fan Circuit

what do you guys think? enough power to push those DD's

[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: 01orangebird ]</p>

Comment

Xtant makes great products, but they are a little pricey. If you have the money then go for it. But for $579 new you could get two JBL bp1200.1 and push 1200WRMS to EACH DD. I've been looking at this amp for myself. Maybe get one of those to power both your DD's? Just a thought. There are a TON of choices when it comes to amps. But with power draw like that, your gonna need to beef up the ol' electrical system as well. A high output alternator would be in order. E-mail dominick@tds.net for some KILLER prices on alts. got mine from him nearly 2 years ago and it's still kickin a$$. And for the head unit. What models are those? I couldn't find them on Kenwood's webpage or Ebay. I usually recommend Alpine for head units. Such as the Alpine 7894. With 3 pairs of RCAs and 6-channel time correction... it's unstoppable for that price. Lemme know what you think.
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

WOW I think I found myself a headunit.

Well since I am going with DD's that have 1200 watts rms and can handle like 2000, I will check into getting 2 amps at 1200.1 for 600 bucks, sounds like a better deal to me. Also I will email the guy with the high-output alts. sometime in the near future.

I am currently talking to a guy about bagging the car. I hope he can get me a killer deal.

Comment

What head unit? The 7894? Great unit for the money. Can you afford better?

And the JBL's are a great buy. They output slightly more then rated power and are cheap. But the biggest draws backs I can see about them is that they have no subsonic filter (if your going sealed then disregard), their LP crossover is kinda crappy, and they are not the most efficient amp around. Which kinda sucks for somebody already in need of an electrical system upgrade. But their dollar/watt ratio is damn near unbeatable.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I am currently talking to a guy about bagging the car. <hr></blockquote> Airbags?
                            Red 96' A4 Firebird
                            Audio Audio and Autotek
                            Check it out here!

Comment

sounds like a nifty ole system youve got planned, all that power id definately look into a battery upgrade perhaps? ive never delt with battery caps but i hear they are worthless?????
                              - Scarface<br /><br /><br />96 Camaro 3.8 - Y87, SLP CAI, Flowmaster 80series, 180* Thermo, Cut-out

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X