2nd Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Battery Question

I am planning to install a second battery in the rear of my car to help with the electrical issues regarding my stereo system.

I'm not sure how to go about this really, can I just run a 4 guage wire from the positive terminals of the two batteries and ground the rear battery to the frame?
    <b>Vehicle Information</b></font><ul type=\"square\"><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Car:</b> 1991 Chevy Camaro RS</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Engine:</b> 3.1L V6 MPFI</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Mods:</b> Flowmaster , K&N CAI, Optima Battery, 180amp Alt</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>System:</b> Alpine HU | Planet Audio Mids & Highs | 3 Cerwin Vega V-Max 12DVC Subs | Boss 3KD.1 & Crossfire 400.4 Amps</font></li></ul><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

what type of alt do you have? whats your set up?

IF you do want to do that then you have to go with 0 gauge.

Comment

just get a good battery and a HO.
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I have an Optima Yellow Top and a Maxx Walmart battery. My alternator is a Boss Load 180a.
        <b>Vehicle Information</b></font><ul type=\"square\"><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Car:</b> 1991 Chevy Camaro RS</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Engine:</b> 3.1L V6 MPFI</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Mods:</b> Flowmaster , K&N CAI, Optima Battery, 180amp Alt</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>System:</b> Alpine HU | Planet Audio Mids & Highs | 3 Cerwin Vega V-Max 12DVC Subs | Boss 3KD.1 & Crossfire 400.4 Amps</font></li></ul><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

which one is under the hood the optima or the wal mart?

Its not a good idea to mix and match batteries. You have to get the same brand, samce CCA, and if possible let them be the same age.

Comment

Originally posted by CAMAROWIDBASS:
            Its not a good idea to mix and match batteries. You have to get the same brand, samce CCA, and if possible let them be the same age.
            :thumbsup:

Next, a second battery is not going to keep your voltage gauge from dipping. Car batteries are 12V. Always. They will never be more then that. So how do you think you keep that voltage gauge at 14.4V under heavy loads? A H/O alt. But not just any H/O.... you need to make sure your alt high outputs at idle. Just because the alt is labeled as "high output", doesn't mean it's good for car audio. My alt does close to 100amps at idle. I suggest you get your alt bench tested if you're unsure. Most places will do it for you for free.
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

Have you done the big 3 yet? What are you running in your car thats causing electrical problems?
              2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X