Durabrand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durabrand

Ok, guys... before I start getting hate posts from all you audiophiles rest assured this did not go in my car.

I just wanted to inform newbies out there who are looking for a budget system that you get what you pay for. I had a girl bring her car to me to install a head unit and speaker package from Durabrand that she paid 60 bucks for. (I started asking questions at this point).

Anyways, went to Best Buy and picked up the wiring harness adapter and the installation bracket and went to work. After a few hours of soldering, we hooked up the head unit. Everything worked great. While the unit was sitting idle in the car and playing tunes there was a pop and the unit ceased to produce sound. The display was lit but the graphic EQ display just sat at 0 and the tuning knob crapped out- in less than 30 seconds. We unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and there was no change. Thinking it was a bad connection I double checked every fuse and connection and made sure my shrink tubing insulation was covering the solder joints completely and everything looked ok. So I clipped the harness adapter off the unit and installed a Sony X-Plod I've had sitting in my apartment for ages and the unit fired right up with no problems whatsoever. Granted this Sony unit isn't to die for but it does the job.

I'm sorry to say that I've installed Jensens before and within a week the controls just don't want to work. With the Durabrand the controls not only felt cheap but the tuner knob was stiff and kept jumping up several notches with each little turn.

I can understand not wanting to dump hundreds of dollars on components but when you are up and running for less than a minute that to me just screams junk. Further research tells me that I'm not the only person to encounter this problem with a Durabrand. JUNK JUNK JUNK! I don't think I'd even let this thing near my trash can it's that bad.

I agree. At our shop, when anyone brings in crap like that, we tell them straight out, "It may work for awhile, but it probably won't live for more than a couple of months, tops".
    I cringe whenever I have to waste my time installing Durabrand, Rampage, Jensen, Pyramid or any other Brand X garbage a customer brings in because they don't want to cough up the $$ for even a semi-decent head unit. Especially when I know the customer is gonna be pissed at ME when their $29.95 Walmart special takes a dump in 3 weeks.....

They made up the saying, "You get what you pay for" for a reason people....
    1995 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Check out my other ride. <a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732\" target=\"_blank\">www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732</a>

Comment

Anyone remember KRACO? Burn the building! Stop the shipments!!! So true, you get what you pay for. Id leave the factory unit in before I buy that crap.
      Jessica :)<br />Kansas: There\'s no place like home...99 Firebird Blown/6lbs, Eaton w/3.42\'s CI headers Z28 Exaust<br />CAI, #36 injectors Intense PCM

Comment

We sell this crap, Durabrand, at Wal-Mart. Now if you have a '73 Toyota you want to get rid of, its perfect, but PLEASE stay away from this stuff.

Comment

i bought a blaupunkt headunit and after a few weeks it just sounded like crap. and i had after market sony xplod speakers. I kept playing with all the eqs but still got a crappy sound. so I took it back to autozone and bought a sony xplod headunit and it sounds PERFECT!
          95 black 3.8 camaro, Intake, Pacesetters, Flowmaster 80 series, accel plugs and wires, B&M shift kit (eh could be better), hopefully a highflow cat soon. and a bunch of appearance mods.

Comment

Why waste your time on the install?
            2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

"cause making $50 to install someone's piece of crap deck is better than a kick in the balls.
              1995 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Check out my other ride. <a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732\" target=\"_blank\">www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X