Did I fry my eclipse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I fry my eclipse?

I got an eclipse CD5442 off of eBay yesterday. I was installing it myself whicch normally wouldn't have been a problem. I've done a HU install a few times. Anyway, I buy a wiring harness for GM vehicles. And while I'm wiring the Gm harness with the one off the back of the eclipse I notice that there is no ground wire coming from the eclipse! So I'm like WTF! :mad: At this point, I already had my stock HU out and all the **** was ready for the eclipse to be put in so I decided I'd try to figure it out (in retrospect, I think I should have just gone to bed). So I hook up the deck to my car and w/o the ground wire connected and, of course, it doesn't work. Next I take the ground wire that's coming from the GM harness and proceed to put it in the empty holes in the back of the wiring harness from the eclipse. You know, the holes where wires could be, but aren't. Cuz I figured that the ground wire just was yanked out or something. Well, I found where it was supposed to go because upon putting it in the second hole I see a couple of sparks. I'm like cool, I found it. :D So, I try to hook it up now by moving the amp/control wire as the ground one. i just moved it on the harness. Anyway, the deck doesn't work at all at this point and I don't know what to do. The fuses in my car are not the problem. I can touch the red and black together and get a spark but the radio won't power up or anything. I'm pissed! :mad:

There wouldn't be a fuse or something in the deck that I can replace? I want to hook this thing up and I can't even get it to work now. I'm so mad. Anyway, does anyone know what I can do at this point?
    - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

buy a new harness for the eclipse deck?
    99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

Well, i don't think that that is the problem. I moved the amp/controller wire(blue with white stripe I think) to the location of the ground wire. I just pulled it out and put it where the ground wire goes. So now the ground wire is just blue. But I think it should still work. But in order for it to turn on, all I would need is the power and ground hooked up, right?

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Red V6 Raider ]</p>
      - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

I believe there should be two +12V wires and the ground in order to turn the radio on. One is a constant +12v wire, sometimes called memory on certain harnesses. This supplies the permanent power to operate the HU. The other +12V wire is for the ACC or ignition. This one is only on when the car is on. Operates like the turn on lead for amplifiers. So if you have the two +12V and the ground hooked up, with the key in the ACC or On position, you should be ok. I would think you could use a voltmeter to test which should be ground rather than looking for sparks. There could be some other terminals there that would spark but aren't ground?? That or call an Eclipse dealer and see if they can tell you which should be ground.

Comment

make sure to check ure inline fuse man , i blew mine, btw what eclipse HU u got i got one also and they dont have a fuse, make sure if you havnt already to replace ure stereo fuse with a 25- 30 ull blow the 20 already in there, oh yea if you get it hookedup turn it up and see if on all the odd numbers from 69 up you lose ure treble ( i do thats why i ask )
          91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lord_gufi:
            make sure to check ure inline fuse man , i blew mine<hr></blockquote>

which fuse are you talking about? Are you talking about the one that is in the bottom right of the driver's side fuse panel?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lord_gufi:
            make sure if you havnt already to replace ure stereo fuse with a 25- 30 ull blow the 20 already in there( i do thats why i ask )<hr></blockquote>

The fuse I had in there was only a 15w fuse, you have a 25-30w? Hmmm, maybe I'll look into that.

Comment

there should be an inline fuse on the yellow wire behind ure deck incase of shorts and stuff, ive blown that one b4 also course some times some shops rely on the on in the pannel, have fun the the deck man there great specialy with some good speakers
              91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

Well, I found out what the problem was. I took it into a local car audio store to check and see if it worked. They got a new eclipse harness and tested it and it worked! It turns out that the harness I got with it is all messed up and the wires are in the wrong locations. Really pisses me off. I have to have one shipped from Japan they said. 40 dollars! :mad: Oh well, at least it's not fried. Sorry for wasting everyone's time with a stupid problem no one could have diagnosed!

Thanks for the help anywayz people. :D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99BlueSuperSix:
                  buy a new harness for the eclipse deck?<hr></blockquote>

I thought I told you this days ago...???
                  99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99BlueSuperSix:

I thought I told you this days ago...???
                    <hr></blockquote>

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that I should have listened to you first. ;)

Comment

sorry not trying to be a smart @$$ - just being funny in my own dry kind of way... :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X