Tell me about OHMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about OHMs

Aight, I miss the bass in my car too much and soon enough the extra weight in the car will actually be beneficial for traction (with the added power :D ). Anyways, I like how the Kicker Comp VRs hit and they are bang for the buck. Lets say I get a pair of the 12" Kicker Comp VRs that are DVC 4 ohm subs. If I get the JBL bp600.1 to power them, which gives 600x1 at 2 ohms and 300x1 at 4 ohms, is there a way to wire these 2 4-ohm speakers into a 2-ohm load for the amp to give them 600watts? That JBL usually gives out in the 700-800 watt range so I think it will feed the comp vrs nicely with ~350 each. I'm sort of familiar with the wiring terms, I know there is Parallel and Series. Just need to know if I can get all the juice I can out of this amp with those speakers!

Just wire all the voice coils in parallel, positive to positive & negative to negative, and you will get a 1ohm load. That amp puts out the same amount of power at 1ohm as it does at 2ohms.

Comment

you may want to consider a differnt amp, a class "d" amp with more efficiency and over all better quality. I am impartial for the JL audio 500/1, which is 500wrms mono block amp. It can handle 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 ohm load configurations and still put out 500wrms. if your looking for real power you could get two of these or a 1000/1 (hard to find)
      the price of one 500/1 is ~ $320 in the right places. Keep in mind you get what you pay for.
      good luck with the setup
      -Steve

Comment

If you parallel the coils and series the speakers you'll be at 4Ohm.

if you series the coils and parallel the speakers you'll be at 4Ohm.

The only other option running 2 like that is to parallel the coils and the speakers and you'll be at 1Ohm.

Unless you're damn sure you're not going to go KILLING stuff running them at 1Ohm, don't do it - your amp will thank you for it.

If you want to run those guys at 2Ohm each, buy a 4-channel amp and run a sub off the front and off the back with the coils in parallel and the subs not connected to one another directly.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

If you buy two 2 ohm DVC woofers, you can wire the two 2 ohm coils series to 4 ohms(2+2=4), then, wire the two 4 ohm total woofers parallel to 2 ohms.(1/4 + 1/4 = 2/4 = 1/2, reciprocate = 2 ohms.) Simple as that. Don't run that amp at one ohm total impedance, it isn't stable enough at that level. You can view the maunual for the subs, and view wiring diagrams at Comp VR. Hope this helps. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
          Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

The Beast ------ Forget what all these other people said and stick with what you had in mind in the first place. The JBL 600.1 IS a Class D amp, it IS 1ohm stable, and you will NOT screw anything up running it at 1ohm.

Comment

the amp is stable to 1 ohm, but it's still stressful on the amp to run at that level. Why risk running at one ohm and all the heat in that amp, when you can wire your subs to two ohms anyway? Don't ignore what I've said. I realize that it is possible to run the subs at one ohm, I'm just trying to help you. And I've ran class D and Class BD amps at one ohm before. They die faster, and they get incredibly hot.
              Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Camaro Bob:
                the amp is stable to 1 ohm, but it's still stressful on the amp to run at that level. Why risk running at one ohm and all the heat in that amp, when you can wire your subs to two ohms anyway? Don't ignore what I've said. I realize that it is possible to run the subs at one ohm, I'm just trying to help you. And I've ran class D and Class BD amps at one ohm before. They die faster, and they get incredibly hot.<hr></blockquote>

I run a JBL BP1200.1 at 1ohm. I have NEVER ONCE not been able to put my hand on it and keep it there. Mine does NOT get hot after extended use. You are the ONLY person I have EVER seen say anything like that, and I frequent many boards where the JBLs are highly recommended.

The Beast - if you are paranoid, then you can buy 2 Dual 2ohm subs and wire them as stated above to get 2ohms.

Or, if you can only get a deal on the dual 4ohm, then you can wire like this to also get 2ohms.

Only hook up ONE positive and ONE negative terminal on each of the two subs. The two that you hook up MUST be on the same side. The two terminals on the other side you hook to eachother. This will ground out one voice coil on each sub and each sub will act like a single 4ohm sub. And, contrary to what many people think, running it like this does NOT hurt the sub.

Comment

i run my jl 500/1 amp at 1ohm, no problems at all.
                  -Steve

Comment

v6maro that's a sweet deal for that amp. Up here the JL 500/1 amp is $599.99.
                    Joe<br />1995 3.4 Teal Camaro<br />80 Series Flowmaster<br />B&M Ripper Shifter<br />K&N Air Filter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X