Call me stupid but I got a quick question... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call me stupid but I got a quick question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call me stupid but I got a quick question...

I should be getting my dual 12" box from subthump.com very soon and I was just curious how im gonna be wiring my subs through the box. I have two 12" 4 ohm DVC Kappa Perfect subs and I'm going to be wiring them in series off of a bridged 2 channel amp using a 4 ohm load. I know exactly how they need to be wired but I don't physically know how to do it in the box. (I'm not new to sound, just to wiring subs). I know it can't be hard I just wanted to know if I need to split my speaker wire and run it back through the terminal or what? Thanks in advance guys

you should have 2 different terminals, one in each of the sub chambers. then run 1 pos and 1 neg from each of the terminals to the 2 places for for speaker connections on the amp. hope this helps.
    1997 Camaro RS<br /><br />3\" Flowmaster Exhaust,Pacesetter headers,Catco Cat,Cold Air Intake,Clear bumper lights altezzas,chrome rear bumper letters,chrome badges, headlight conversion kit(soon to come),2 12 MTX Thunder 8000, MTX 6500d amp, Fosgate 1 farad cap

Comment

YOu gotta make sure you wire the subs into a series 8 ohm load though...then do as 1997rccrs says...you should have have both positives from the subs goin into the bridged positive and the same for the negatives.

Matt
      \'93 Red 3.4L Camaro<br />Engine: Jet II, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK, Accel Wires, Iridium Plugs, Flowmaster, ASP U/D, 180 Thermo, much more...<br /><br />\'98 Z28 Vert Triple Black A4 Stock for now<br />34000 Miles<br /><br />Not enough room in the sig for my stereo.

Comment

Thats part right, but he also has dual voce coil subs. That part depends on how you wire them. There are several way to wire DVC subs, but the main two are series and parallel. One way to do it is to wire up the positive wire to one voice coil, and the negative to the other, then run a jumper wire looping the other positive and negative contacts on the coils together. Do this for each sub.

The other way to do it is to run the positive wire from the terminal on the box to the positive contact on one voice coil, then just run wires from each positive terminal to the next, and then do the same to the negative contacts. You'll have to have a hole drilled in the dividing wall in the box to run the wires through to the other sub because you won't use the second terminal this way, but your box might already have it, because mine did.

I hope this makes sense. It's a lot easier for me to SHOW someone how to do it then to try and describe it.

Comment

Hi Stryker, I've posted a few diagrams that should answer your question thoroughly.

Since you know that you'll be showing your amp a 4 Ohm load, I presume that your Kappa Perfects have dual voice coils? Model number should be 12.1d or 12d VQ, right?

Assuming dual voice coils, wire it up like this.

If I'm mistaken, and they're only single voice coils, wire it up like this.

Let me know if those wiring diagrams help. They're still a work in progress. For future reference, all of my diagrams are referenced
          here.
          ╓<br />║ Matt M<br />║ <a href=\"http://home.austin.rr.com/morrism/3800/sunset_logo2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Down with the Sixxness</a> <br />║ Polo Green 1995 3.8 Camaro<br />║ intake, cat, catback, shocks, 3.42\'s, and 12\'s in the trunk<br />╙

Comment

1101 hit that one right on the head I was gonna bive you a wiring diagram but i forgot [img]redface.gif[/img] go with the first diagram he gave you...thats the easiest way to do it...plus you dont have to drill and get air leaks ;)
            \'93 Red 3.4L Camaro<br />Engine: Jet II, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK, Accel Wires, Iridium Plugs, Flowmaster, ASP U/D, 180 Thermo, much more...<br /><br />\'98 Z28 Vert Triple Black A4 Stock for now<br />34000 Miles<br /><br />Not enough room in the sig for my stereo.

Comment

user1101, thanks alot for the diagram, I just needed a visual on how I was going to wire it... like I said I knew I was going to to wire the first voice coil of both subs in series and then the second coil in parallel to get the 4 ohm load in otherwords (series/parallel), but thank all you guys for your help I really appreciate it

Comment

If they are DVC, you can do what freeser said about wiring each sub as an 8ohm unit. Then connect your speaker wire to only one of the terminals on the box. Then take a drill and drill a hole thru the middle divider of the box. Then you can run your speaker wire directly into the other chamber and connect it to the other sub. That's what I did on my box. Then just silicone around the wiring that is feeding thru the divider.

This might also help on the wiring http://www.fbodyaudio.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1071021537

Comment

Got the box today and wired it up, I ended up cutting the speaker wire and then soldering it together and putting the soldered end into the wire terminal, it worked fine... the system pounds like no one's business, the subthump box is great. I just have to go to get my electrical system checked at AutoZone tomorrow, b/c I think my alternator may have died, it won't charge anymore... even with the system turned off

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    4 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X