Stereo Remote Controlls on Steering Wheel - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stereo Remote Controlls on Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Remote Controlls on Steering Wheel

I've done a search and didn't find anything if you know of a link feel free to direct me there but...

Lets say I have a fbod without the stereo controlls on the wheel. Is it hard to get a wheel with those.. can I just buy one and put it on? What needs to be done for that kind of stuff... I always thought the controls on the wheel were handy... [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]

It would not be easy. You would most likely have to replace the steering wheel and the head unit. (Depending on the year, and whether it is a Camaro or Firebird)

If you are lucky, you can get the parts for $300. But it would most likely be more.

The control signal is passed to the head unit via one wire that travels through the steering column. If the wire is not there, it will be nearly I impossible to put one in.
    <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by EyeOutThere:
      It would not be easy. You would most likely have to replace the steering wheel and the head unit. (Depending on the year, and whether it is a Camaro or Firebird)

If you are lucky, you can get the parts for $300. But it would most likely be more.

The control signal is passed to the head unit via one wire that travels through the steering column. If the wire is not there, it will be nearly I impossible to put one in.
      <hr></blockquote>

I am probably the best one 2 talk 2 on this subjuect. I did this about a year ago on my old Camaro. If it is a 2000+ then you will need the wheel and the wiring harness inside of the column that controls the wheel control and the air bag. If you don't then it will require a headunit and the harness from the head unit 2 the column.

Putting the wire into the column is required and isn't 2 difficult. It took me 2 hours to do the whole thing start to finish.

If you want 2 do this contact me and I can give you instructions on doing it.
      2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Thanks guys for the help and support... I'll let you know if I proceed with this project... I get my camaro friday !!!!!

Comment

Just off the top of my head, the only prob i see really, is the wheel...they will charge you a butt load due to the air bag in it... they wont take it out and sell it, thats half the profit...i dont know if it can be taken out and put in another, but id imagine not...and yes, they are nice to have, i reccomend them. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

Good luck James! I remember when I got mine!
            2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by camaro_zach:
              Just off the top of my head, the only prob i see really, is the wheel...they will charge you a butt load due to the air bag in it... they wont take it out and sell it, thats half the profit...i dont know if it can be taken out and put in another, but id imagine not...and yes, they are nice to have, i reccomend them. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

If it is a 2000+ then the air bag will switch if not then it will require a new air bag. I would recommend getting one used I got my wheel A4 shifter and e-brake for $80 when I did it 2 mine.

The 94-98 monte Carlos also have the same wheel and bag.
              2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

&lt;~~~~has an extra steering column w/ radio controls [img]smile.gif[/img]

No air bag though,,,,stearing column came off of a 97 firebird.

If ur interested i've got it all in my basement, just a suggestion, so u wont have to buy parts new, i gots them all [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck
                <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/danny83/car_pix\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.pbase.com/danny83/root</a><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/ttopbird96\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/ttopbird96</a> [/URL]<br />00 NMB Formula M6<br />323.4HP, 336.5TQ<br />Lid, Filter, Cutout, all else stock :)<p>\"Let the modding begin!\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X