Newbie Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Q's

Hey guys, I have a 1996 Camaro with the bare bones factory audio. Only thing I've changed is a Rockford CD deck.

I'm not really a hardcore audio guy, I'd just like the music to come out cleaner. So I'm not looking to spend a ton on the audio...I'd like to add maybe a CD changer and some new speakers first...with the possibility of a amp in the future.

I was thinking maybe some good 3-way speakers would improve the sound? And where would they put the CD changer? Thanks guys!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blizzard96:
    Hey guys, I have a 1996 Camaro with the bare bones factory audio. Only thing I've changed is a Rockford CD deck.

I'm not really a hardcore audio guy, I'd just like the music to come out cleaner. So I'm not looking to spend a ton on the audio...I'd like to add maybe a CD changer and some new speakers first...with the possibility of a amp in the future.

I was thinking maybe some good 3-way speakers would improve the sound? And where would they put the CD changer? Thanks guys!
    <hr></blockquote>

I would suggest not getting 3-way coaxial speakers. Supposedly they have a woofer, midrange, and a tweeter. But, have you ever seen these things? The speaker they try to call a midrange is really just another tweeter because it's so small. Ever seen real 3-way speakers as in home audio use? The midrange is never as small as a tweeter. A good midrange is a least 3inches. Anyway, stay away from those things.

I would suggest you look in to some 2-way components. They cost a little more, but are well worth the sound. If you don't want to have to mount the tweeters seperately, some components are made to suspend the tweeter in front of the woofer, but they aren't connected down the middle.

If you just want a little better sound, then some new speakers will be fine. But, if you want good bass, you will NEVER get it out of regular speakers so don't expect it.

As far as the amp, you really do want to get one as soon as possible. When companies rate their head units it's for max power. So when you see 50x4, that's only 25rms per speaker and usually it's less than that. Your speakers will like you better if you power them with an amp.

As far as the changer, they will probably just put it in the rear cubby hole in the well on the drivers side. However, if you ever plan to get a subwoofer you'll have to move it. If you get a steathbox for the sub it will have to go in the cubby hole. If you get the dual 10 or dual 12 box to fit in the well, you probably won't want to take it out every time you want to change the cds.

I have a saying for car audio newbies. Go ALL out the first time. If you don't, you will regret it later.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Green!

What should I look for when buying an amp? Is power going to be an issue...I don't want to burn the battery or alternator.

Thanks again!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ChameleonGreen:

I would suggest not getting 3-way coaxial speakers. I have a saying for car audio newbies. Go ALL out the first time. If you don't, you will regret it later.
        <hr></blockquote>
        I think you mean tri-axials for 3-way. But I agree a component system is the way to go and go all out the first time. Blizzard, you should not have to worry about your alt. and batt. for the amp size you are looking for. If you plan on adding a sub later, get a 5 or 6 channel amp. 4 channels for each speaker, then 1 (or 2 bridged) for the sub. If no sub then a 4 channel amp. Either way, your alt. is 105amps and will have no trouble keeping up with these. Get an amp that's around 100watts RMS per channel. Not 400X4, that's at 2 ohms, while most speakers are 4 ohm. You will only getting 50 watts to each. 800X4 will give you 100watts each, but WATCH OUT! You get what you pay for! Some companies (Pyle, Pyramid etc.) say 400X4 or 800X4 but they really don't put out that much. Stick with the name brands. It sounds difficult at first, but trust me it's not. I could go on forever. Feel free to ask any more questions you might have.
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

Thanks Firebird, I'll go checkout some audio stuff this weekend and check back for some advice/opinions. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X