Right Amp for my 12" solobaric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Amp for my 12" solobaric

I have 1 kicker 12" solobaric L7 in a box, and I'm looking for the right amp. I'm looking into Sony for the price.

SONY MOBILE XM-3001SXD Class D AMP

SPECS:

1000W Max Power (1000W x 1 @2 OHMS)
    300W x 1 into 4 ohms 5-200hz,at .04% THD
    600W x 1 into 4 ohms 5-200hz,at 0.1% THD
    1000W x 1 into 1 ohm 5-200hz,at .1% THD
    Variable 50-200Hz Lo-pass filter
    40Hz Low Boost (0-10dB)
    Phase Shift Adjustment Control
    MOSFET Power Supply & Outputs
    Line-level and Speaker Level Inputs
    Gold Plated Recess Connectors

I read the speaker's installation guide, and here's what it said:

Solo-Baric L7 woofers are available with dual 2 Ohm or dual 4 Ohm voice coils. The dual 2 Ohm woofer will give you a 1 Ohm or a 4 Ohm load depending on if the coils are wired in parallel or in series. The dual 4 Ohm woofer will give a 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm load depending on how they are wired.

With that being said, I have the dual 4 Ohm subs. How should I set it all up? should I wire the sub in parallel, dropping it to a 2 Ohm load, and put the sony on it? will that push it? are the sony amps overrated? I'm sure they are a little bit, but for around $2-300, what other amp could I get to push it? If you have ANY suggestions for me, please let me know. thanks in advance

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: RED RUM ]</p>
    1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

I don't think you'll find many people who will endorse sony here. Most of us pretty much hate them for their track record. $300 will get you a good amp for a single sub. You can check into plenty of other brands than that. I'm a PPI fan. I know you can get ahold of an A600 (that's what I'm using to power all four of my subs) for about 300 bucks, an A300 would do you fine as well. You can probably get ahold of that for about $200.

HTH
    Mike<br />\'99 Z28 LS1 (383 in the works) M6<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/\" target=\"_blank\">stereo pics</a> Almost sold, the amps are still for sale - make an offer.<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/paypal.html\" target=\"_blank\">Help Mike pay for his engine. Every dollar helps!</a>

Comment

Why not get a Kicker amp, or the JBL 1200.1? JL makes some really good amps, like the 500/2.

The Doctor is right....Sony's name is not well-liked in this forum. Too many problems with their low-mid level products. The only good sony stuff is the High-end ES stuff. That costs $1000+ though.

Stick to kicker, JL, or JBL with that much power.
      <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Comment

what do you think of the KICKER KX550.3 to push my solobaric and a set of components for $349 shipped? let me know, the auction ends soon... thanks fellas
        1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

Comment

Don't waste your time with the sony. Like previously mentioned, get the kicker or the JBL. The list goes on from there. If you had the cash, you could look at the RF bd100.1. Anyway, on a mono amp, you'll want to wire the coils in parallel. That way the amp will see a 2ohm load. I would not recommend trying to bridge a 2 channel amp and running a 2ohm load. Just make sure you look at the wiring directions on the owners manual. Solos are particular on which terminals you wire to first. Pay attention to the "dots" on the terminals. Good luck. ;)

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: megabass ]

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: megabass ]</p>

Comment

i know how to wire the sub to 2 ohms, it's in the instruction booklet. If I go with a mono kicker amp, what size should I get? let me know something, time's runnin out ;)

thanks
            1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

Comment

This is the one that has quite a while before it ends... there's also 2 or 3 600s there...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1343972155

any of the brands mentioned are going to do fine for you. Although I've never used Kicker Amps, I've been in love with their speakers for a while.

Good luck!
              Mike<br />\'99 Z28 LS1 (383 in the works) M6<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/\" target=\"_blank\">stereo pics</a> Almost sold, the amps are still for sale - make an offer.<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/paypal.html\" target=\"_blank\">Help Mike pay for his engine. Every dollar helps!</a>

Comment

i don't like the way the PPI's look... and that's very important to me... I like this kicker kx550.3, here are the specs:

40 watts RMS x 2 + 200 watts x 1 at 4 ohms
                75 watts x 2 + 400 watts x 1 at 2 ohms
                3-channel output
                speaker- and preamp-level inputs
                front channels: variable 50-200 Hz high-pass crossover, 12 dB per octave (defeatable)
                subwoofer channel: variable 50-200 Hz low-pass crossover, 12 dB per octave (non-defeatable)
                efficient Class D subwoofer section
                KickBass bass boost (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
                dash-mountable remote bass level control
                frequency response 20-20,000 Hz (front channels); 20-200 Hz (sub channel)
                4-way protection circuits
                requires 4-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
                19-1/4"W x 2-5/8"H x 10-1/8"D (with shroud); 16-5/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 9-9/16"D (without shroud)
                1-year warranty

the sub will run at 2 ohms, the components at 4 ohms, so that's 420 watts on the sub and around 140 on the highs with the dynamic power feature (14.4 volts). and I hear MB Quarts are the best around.

the guy will sell it to me with a set of MB Quart 6.5" components (RSC-216) shipped 2nd day air to me in hawaii for $529.00. that sounds good to me... i'll let y'all know how it sounds on wednesday ;)

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: RED RUM ]</p>
                1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X