Need Help with Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Wiring

I just bought another amp and a capacitor. I also bought 4awg wire, and a distribution block since I will be running two amps. My question is this:

1.How do you hook up a capacitor to a dsitribution block?
    2.Also, should I fuse the power wires from the distribution block to the amps themselves? I've already fused the wire near the battery, do I need additional fuses??

I generally let other people do this stuff because I don't have time, but I decided to it myself this time. Anyone wanna help a preacha out??

edit: Also, what is the best way to wire two speakers in parallel? I Know how it works in theory, just not in practice. I'll be using the apm in a 2ohm x 2 setup

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: Reverend_Ezekiel ]</p>
    <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

You'll want each amp fused after the distribution block, and you'll want a fuse rated for both amps added together at the battery. Well, you won't really want that, since it might be costly, but it might prove useful 1 time out of 1000.

Wire like this

Battery to fuse rated for both amps
    fuse to distribution block
    block to fuse to amp for door speakers
    block to fuse to cap to amp for subs

make sure you follow the directions with the cap precisely or it will get screwed when you initially charge it. and keeping it as close as possible to the amp is VERY important. the farther away it is, the less useful it is.

Comment

What about using the cap for BOTH amps?? I know it's possible, but would it be less useful because it's not wired in-line with an amp?
      <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Comment

You only need the cap for the subwoofer amp. The amp for the door speakers doesn't draw enough power to need one so it won't do any good.

Think about it, why do people get caps? To help stop dimming lights during hard bass notes. It should be kept where it's most useful.

Comment

Thanks, man. But how about wiring speakers in parallel, what is the easiest way. I need to produce a 2 ohm load.

Comment

Parallel and Series wiring will yield different impedances. What woofers do you have? What impedances are the coils in those woofers? Dual voice coil or not? For example, two four ohm woofers in parallel yield a two ohm total impedance. 1/4 + 1/4 = 2/4 reciprocate= 4/2 = 2.

Two dual voice coiled woofers, with coils at 4 ohms would produce a total impedance of one ohm. Coils first: 1/4 + 1/4 = 2/4 reciprocate= 4/2 = 2.
            Now subs in parallel: 1/2 + 1/2 = 2/2 = 1.

Three four ohm woofers at one ohm would yield 1.6 ohms total.
            1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 = 3/4 reciprocate = 4/3 = 1.6 ohms.

for series wiring, just add the impedances. For example, two 4 ohm woofers in series would yield 8 ohms total impedance. 4 + 4 = 8. Simple as that. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
            Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

when you wire voice coils in series, add the numbers together. when you wire them in parallel its half.

like bob said, tell us what kind of subs you have and what kind of voice coils they have and someone will tell you how to make 2 ohms if possible.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Camaro Bob:
                4/3 = 1.6 ohms<hr></blockquote>

a little off there. 4/3 = 1.333333

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ChameleonGreen:
                  when you wire them in parallel its half.<hr></blockquote>

not true.
                  parallel is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals.

Comment

I have two single voice coil, 4ohm Eclipse 86100.4's. I've always thought that wiring two 4ohm speakers in parallel would produce a 2ohm load, right? Just trying to get my fact straight. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

4ohm + 4ohm = 2ohm in parallel
                    4ohm + 4ohm = 8ohm in series

That's what I've always thought was true, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chemten10:

not true.
                      parallel is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals.
                      <hr></blockquote>

not my fault you don't speak my language

---

That is correct Rev. those subs in parallel will be a 2ohm load.

Comment

The reason he said parallel is not half, is becasue it is only true when two loads are wired in parallel. If you have 3 4ohm coils in parallel, you cannot use a simple 1/2 calculation. I'm sure you know that, but for the people that don't, you would want to use CamaroBob's formula for parallel (without the math error [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X