Monsoon + CD changer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsoon + CD changer?

Does the Monsoon system come wired for a CD changer? I thought I read somewhere that the wiring came already installed, but maybe I'm only wishful thinking. I have not looked around inside at all to see.

Sorry for being so dumb. :rolleyes:
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

I dont thik so. You will probably have to go with an Fm modulated...
    97 Black Camaro 3.8 M5<br />Monotone muffler<br />K&N Air Filter<br />K&N Oil Filter<br />Pioneer DEH-P6300<br />Lots of Speakers and Stuff<br />20% Tint<br />**********<br />93 S-10 X-Cab 3.4 93 camaro engine

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BamBoom:
      I dont thik so. You will probably have to go with an Fm modulated...<hr></blockquote>

.... and the sound quality on those plain sucks IMO! I bought one when I still had my bose system, and I greatly preferred the portable CD player into the tape deck over the FM Changer. There was just no volume to it. So I took it back and started saving for a much better stereo.

-Mike
      <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

I'll just stick to one CD at a time for now...

Comment

Mine came prewired, but it's an option. Not all of them have it. I had an Alpine 6-disc changer in my previous car, which I had swapped into the Bird one day after I bought it. Plugged right in, works with the dash or steering wheel controls, and sounds great. Not sure what the code is for CD prewiring, maybe you could check with a dealer to see if your car has it.

Rik

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Rik ]</p>

Comment

So maybe I was not crazy. Ok, I'll go check out the codes. I have mis-placed the window sticker somewhere :mad: so I'll have to go through the codes.

Comment

OK, it says W55 on the door, which the Technical Database says is,

"W55 ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM – "MONSOON" ETR AM/FM STEREO, COMPACT DISC, EQUALIZER, REMOTE CD PREWIRING, 10-SPEAKER SYSTEM - COAXIAL"

So now the real Homer Simpson question: Wwhere do I find this alleged prewiring? Again, I'm sorry for being ignorant.

BTW, just had to mention the weather here is so beautiful this afternoon - great day ofr driving with the tops off!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Everglades W68:
                Again, I'm sorry for being ignorant.
                <hr></blockquote>

No worries... thats what we're all here for [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't know for sure where it is, but try in the 'trunk', on the driver side in the area. Pull that whole panel off and it may be in there.

Somebody else probably knows for sure.....

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Everglades W68:
                BTW, just had to mention the weather here is so beautiful this afternoon - great day ofr driving with the tops off!<hr></blockquote>

Oh eat it! There's snow on the ground here and I dont' have T-tops [img]tongue.gif[/img] ;)
                <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Okay, now you know you DO have the prewiring. I just took the car to Sound Advice and had them install it. Since they put the changer in my previous car, they have a deal where they swap it free into any car I buy from now on.
                  But it IS installed in the rear on the driver's side, opposite the spare. Can't see it from the outside at all.

Oh, yeah, and I had the t-tops off today too. Ain't Florida great?

Rik

Comment

Thanks very much. I'll go check it out later.

"Palm trees and views I can't believe; why would I ever want to leave."[/I]

Comment

Wyoming Sucks, it's 5 degrees outside, and you can't drive down the street without sliding out of control and taking out a mailbox. I hate it here. :( [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                      Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

OK, so I see the wiring harness now (neatly wrapped in tape and padding next to the driver side rear speakers).

Any recommendations on which changer works with Monsoon CD system / steering wheel controls? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for any advice.

Comment

only the factory monsoon changer will plug into the pre-wired setup. and i don't think there is an adapter made yet.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chemten10:
                            only the factory monsoon changer will plug into the pre-wired setup. and i don't think there is an adapter made yet.<hr></blockquote>

How about the Delco or Bose changer? Any idea

TS
                            <a href=\"http://www.suikkari.net/camaro_pics\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2000 Camaro Z28</b></a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://1texfinn.cz28.com/photo3.html\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer</a>

Comment

Keep in mind..Yes some cars are prewired for the Delco 12 disc changer but if you have a CD HU only late 99-present HU's will actually control the changer. I believe GM used leftover HU's from the 97 and earlier F-bodies on 98's and early 99's. Even though the 98 and early 99 HU's have an AUX button it will not control the changer. If you hook a changer up to the harness I think it will just keep trying to load but nothing else will happen. Also, that means that you cannot control any cd changer if you have one of these early HU's. A company called Peripheral makes an adapter that allows you to hook up some Alpine or Kenwood cd changers to the stock HU but these are pricy. Your best bet if you have a 98 or early 99 HU is to buy a new HU off of eBay, sell your stock one then buy a Delco CD changer off of eBay as well. Also a company at www.radiosandmore.com sells the Delco cd changers but they are pricy too. Hope this helps.
                              1998 Camaro 3.8<br />Bone Stock<br /><br />Stereo:<br />-Stock HU<br />-PAC OEM-1<br />-MTX Thunder 4244 Amp<br />-Kicker RS6 component speakers in doors<br />-MTX Thunderform<br /><br />Soon to come:<br />-MTX 4250D Amp<br />-Kicker F6.5c subs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X