Adding a sensor to the factory alarm, anyone wanna offer advice? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a sensor to the factory alarm, anyone wanna offer advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a sensor to the factory alarm, anyone wanna offer advice?

From what I've read and understand, I should be able to add an aftermarket sensor (a proximity sensor) to the factory alarm without a lot of trouble. I do have several questions for anyone who might have already done this. First off, is it necessary to isolate each sensor using diodes? Second, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock security system on a 97 RS? (It's not in my Haynes manual.) Also, is the factory alarm a single stage or a two stage? I think it's two, but not positive. Oh and for anyone who is also interested in this mod, check out the bulldog sensor I'm looking at. Seems to be a pretty good sensor for $20+shipping. Anyone have any thoughts or comments?
    Bulldog add-on sensors

MattMAN
    97 Camaro RS RED
    Pics of my car

Well, for anyone that was interested in this topic and for future posterity's sake, I would like to let everyone know how it worked out. GREAT! In fact, I'd say it was the best inexpensive security upgrade that one could have. It took me about 3 hours (I took my time) and cost me about $30, but all said and done, I'm very happy with the results. Now for more detail for anyone who might be interested in doing this at home. First off, for my camaro, the stock shock sensor is near the spare tire on the fender. Find the wires and note the colors. You should find an orange (+), a black (-), and two signal wires, blue and green. Now it seems industry standard for alarm systems is for the green to be the "warning" and for blue to be the full alarm. Well, that is exactly backwards on the Camaro. So, unless you want the full alarm to go off when you walk by the car, you better make sure you wire it appropriately. Now, for materials... I purchased the proximity sensor from bulldog security. I'm happy with it, however I'm still working on the adjustments at this time. Bulldog Security Sensors
    After shipping, it was $25.
    Next, I purchased two diodes from radio shack. They cost around $1-$2. The instructions on the sensor will tell you what diode to get, make sure you get the right ones.
    Next, I went to the hardware store and bought 4-conductor phone wire off the spool for pretty cheap. Get 6-8 feet of wire.
    Now, useing a soldering iron, solder the diodes onto the two trigger wires on the sensor making SURE that the band on the diode is TOWARD the sensor. Then, connect the phone wires to the other end of the diode along with the two power wires. Make sure you solder everything and insulate it WELL! I used small shrink-wrap to ensure that nothing will short. After all, if you did short something out, you could damage the keyless-entry\security system. NOT good. [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] Oh and remember, the wires to the stock sensor are ALWAYS hot unless you disconnect the battery of the car. No big deal, just don't touch them together. Next, I took apart the center console lid and drilled a hole near the hindge just toward the front of the car. So that it's out of the way of the mounting screws. Then I drilled a matching hole in the inside of the console "box". I removed the change holder and the two screws below it and carefully took the console apart. I then ran the free end of the phone wire throught the hole in the console lid, down through the console, and then under the dash over to the passenger-side kick panel. If you will remove the kick panel you should find the 4 wires that come from the shock sensor. Note, there are TWO blue wires and you will have to use a volt-meter or a test light to determine which is which. (Simply conect the leads between a positive on the car and the shock sensor wire, when when you tap the car near the shock sensor, you should see 12 volts if you found the right wire. Otherwise you may see constant 12 volts or nothing at all.) Oh and note once again, on the camaro the GREEN wire is the FULL ALARM trigger, the blue wire is the Warning trigger. On most sensors that is backwards! Now, once all this is done and you have determined without doubt which wire is the correct trigger wire, simply cut each wire one at a time and wire BOTH sensors back into it. Carefully insulate each wire and then you are done. Mount the proximity inside the console lid using double sticky tape. Test and adjust the proximity sensor and the shock sensor BEFORE putting anything back together.

I only ask that you not be a butt-head and adjust the sensor to be over sensitive. Be smart about it and don't annoy people with your alarm. If you piss people off, it becomes very likely that something bad will happen to your car. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now I wanna see someone mess with my stuff, even with the top off and the windows down! [img]smile.gif[/img]

If anyone has any questions, just e-mail me and I'll help as best as I can.
    Matt-MAN!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
      New Owner!
      by LETZRIDE
      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
      4 days ago
    • ssms5411
      Little work today
      by ssms5411
      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
      2 weeks ago
    • LETZRIDE
      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X