Trying to find VSS Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find VSS Wire

Okay, I'm trying to hook up a gps system and I'm down to the last wire, the one that connects to the vss wire. I checked the mod ency and all it says is its a green/white wire at the cruise control module. Now as far as I know the module is under the car, correct? Is there a place inside the car where I can connect this wire, and if so, can someone give me a better description (or pic) as to where it is located? Sorry, not much for electrical work.

[ August 20, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Wraith2097 ]
    01 V6 Firebird, Flowmaster catback, Navmate gps, B&M Ripper.

Does anyone know? I can't just leave it halfway done so my bird is out of commission until I find this wire.

Comment

Sorry, can't find any info from DEI's Directechs. My suggestion is to call a dealership service center and ask if they can find the ECM pinout and make you a copy of it. It's in there somwhere, just gotta find where.
      1995 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Check out my other ride. <a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732\" target=\"_blank\">www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732</a>

Comment

I have a 94 Camaro and the cruise control is located under the car on the Drivers side. It's enclosed in a plastic panel that runs along the bottom of the front bumper. The Green w/ white striped wire is on the wire harness that plugs into the cruise control module. You have an 01? My 2002 Firebird's throttle is electronically controlled, there's no cable....so i'm not sure if the cruise control module is in the same place or not...but I think it is. You could also tap into the same wire (green w/ white stripe) next to where all the wires run along next to where your battery is. I ran out earlier tonight and looked at my 2002 and saw the green w/white stripe wire on top of the passenger strut tower, you should see a thick wire harness with a bunch of plugs, the Green w/ White striped wire is there. Thing is though, I found two green w/white striped wires, one located on separate plugs laying on the strut tower; not sure which one it is. That wire should also run inside the car since it has to run over to the speedometer.

My speedo isn't working on my 94 so I've been messing with the VSS and pulled the computer out. There are a few green w/white striped wires going into the computer so I called a dealership asking if they could give me the pinout readings since they are numbered but the dude just laughed and said no.
        2006 Tiburon

Comment

Hmm I was hoping there was some way I could connect it to a wire under the dash. I'm on my break at the moment but when I get out of work I'll take a peek under the hood to see if I can find that green/white wire. Hopefully there will only be one. Its depressing considering the ency states that camaros have it at the headunit. I know it must be under the dash somewhere, it connects to the gauges doesn't it? Agh, such a pain. Thanks for the info though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith2097:
            I know it must be under the dash somewhere, it connects to the gauges doesn't it?
            Yeah it connects to the speedo guage but where under the dash its located is another story.
            2006 Tiburon

Comment

ok, im the last guy to ever give advice on anything electrical, but doesnt that wire come off the transmission somewhere underneath the car. couldnt you just tap into it somewhere underneath. i thought i remembered fooling with it when i put in the jetscu2000.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
              Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Loochy88:
                ok, im the last guy to ever give advice on anything electrical, but doesnt that wire come off the transmission somewhere underneath the car.
                Yes but no. There are two wires (yellow and purple) that plug into the actuall "sensor" (Vehicle Speed Sensor) which is located on the rear of the transmission underneath the car; however, you can't use those two wires. The computer takes the input from those two wires and converts it to something else which then gets sent back out to the green w/ white striped wire.
                2006 Tiburon

Comment

Update: I checked out the wires that run around the pass strut tower, I counted at least three green and white wires. I decided not to go that route, so I broke out my haynes manual and studied the wiring info in the back. Although it was horribly lacking in info, it did provide just enough for me to make sure that this specific wire runs to the speedo. I flipped a few pages to find out how to remove the cluster and ten minutes later I'm staring at the gaping whole where my instruments used to be. I found the only set of wires that run into the back of my gauges, and hunted through them until I found just one white/green wire. I connected my final wire to this and put everything back together. I tested the gps and thankfully it started right up, but I have yet to move the car so I don't know if it was the right wire or not. I guess I'll find out on my way to work. I'll be sure to post back in the morning. Thanks for all the suggestions so far though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X