sub wiring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sub wiring questions

alright so i just got my new amp.. a hifonics bx 1205d.. its 1200 RMS @ 1 ohm... now how exactly do i need to wire my subs for this... parrallel/parrallel? or is there some other way... 96firebird311 was talkin about some other way to do it but i didnt understand exactly.. thanks for any help
    1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Well if you have 2 dvc 4 ohm subs, yes parrallel would be the way, connect all the +'s from the subs to the amp and the same for the -'s.
    2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

ok so with the wirin guide on jlaudio.com could i do it this way.. wire the voice coils parrallel then run them to the outside of the box.. and just twist the wires together outside the box? would that work?
      1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

Never "just twist" wires together, always make a secure connection.
        2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

Damn man. I thought you had it. First off,

that is what I was trying to explain to you in the last part of the previous topic. Your amp has two pairs of output terminals, correct? But it is still a single channel amp. The connections are paralleled on the inside of the amp. It's the exact same as wiring the subs parallel/parallel before the amp. If this is easier for you to do, go for it. It's the same thing.

Option #2, wire your subs like this , then only connect them to ONE of the output terminals on the amp. (Just like it shows) Leave the other pair empty. Connect them inside the box, outside the box, whatever. It doesn't matter. Just make sure your connections are tight and true. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Red 96' A4 Firebird
          Audio Audio and Autotek
          Check it out here!

Comment

right right... i had option 2 down.. but had no idea what u were talkin about with the other one... thanks for all the help with this.. sorry i'm bein such a pain.. haha i went out to our shop tonite and was gonna just hook up the new amp to make sure it worked.. i hooked up everything and just like i had it before but turned down really low so i wouldnt blow anything up... and it wouldnt even work...i had the gain and all the other settings turned down really low but they were all about a 1/4 turn from zero.. and it wasnt playing at all.. not even a lil.. would this have anything to do with my subs still bein at 4 ohm? or is there somethin wrong with the amp :S

Comment

well i have good and bad news..... apparently the other amp i have is 1 ohm stable cause my subs were already wired parrallel... now for the bad news... when i took the subs out to rewire them i looked at the backs of them.. they arent 1200xl's... they are 120xe's...350 rms... the guy i bout them off ebay from ripped me off... i guess i am just going to send that hifonics amp back as it is way too much for the subs

Comment

Originally posted by bret_xi:
                well i have good and bad news..... apparently the other amp i have is 1 ohm stable cause my subs were already wired parrallel... now for the bad news... when i took the subs out to rewire them i looked at the backs of them.. they arent 1200xl's... they are 120xe's...350 rms... the guy i bout them off ebay from ripped me off... i guess i am just going to send that hifonics amp back as it is way too much for the subs
                Damn...... that sucks man. How long ago did you buy the subs? E-mail the guy and see what he says. Maybe it was a mistake. Which headunit are you using again? Chances are you can still USE that amp....with the gain on min. [img]smile.gif[/img] As long as your not pushing 8V RCAs or anything....
                Red 96' A4 Firebird
                Audio Audio and Autotek
                Check it out here!

Comment

i bought them i guess close to a year ago.. it was about august or september of last year.... and then i liked how everything was so i never took them outta the box... umm my headunit is a sony mx8800.. i think thats the model number... what do you mean 8V RCAs? i still know nuthing about all this stereo stuff... thanks for all the help pickin out a amp and everything tho.. i appreciate that

Comment

According to this auction on Ebay, you have 4V RCA preouts. In theory, you are suppose to set your gain to the 4V setting to achieve full rated power out of the amp. However, full power on the subs you have now would probably shorten their life span depending on how you play with them. Soooo.... set the gain to maybe the 8V setting. Chances are your gain knob is not marked very well. Probably just min and max. Look in the amp's owners manual for more detail.

You could also rewire your subs for a 4 ohm load using a series/parallel scheme. This will REALLY limit power out of that amp. See the JL audio link. I know they have a wiring diagram for that.

Just letting you know that it IS possible to use the amp you have now. If you still want to return it and buy a cheaper amp, that's your move.
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

yea.. i'm kinda confused by all this though.. how much would that amp be puttin out then.. in series/parrallel... cause i did hook up the amp before i knew about the subs.. and it would barely even make them move... i dont guess i had the gain set right ?

Comment

http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/a...amps_spec.html
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

so it would only put out 450... the amp i have puts out more than that.. this just isnt workin out good at all... lol maybe one of my friends will want to buy it

sorry i'm on my brothers screen name for some reaosn but this is really bret_xi
                          1999 Hugger Orange 3.8L Camaro<br />Clear altezza taillights, clear euro corners, hyperwhite headlights, 18 x 8.5 Arelli Jovan wheels

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X