8w7 vs ED 8" A Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8w7 vs ED 8" A Series

ok i'm torn between these two subs. Basically from a sound quality stand point which is better and from an spl stand point how much difference is there.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

t-punk, just out of curiosity, what do u plan on doing with the 8"? Are you going to run 2 or 3 of them? On ECA (elite car audio), the consensus would say "try and get a 10". If you really couldn't, it's a toss-up. The e8A can fit in really small sealed enclosures though, like .3 cu ft.
    Eclipse 8443, CDT ES-620s in doors (Clarion APX401.2), IEK, CDT 6X in rear(HU), Image Dynamics ID10v.3D.4 in stealthbox(Clarion DPX1001.2)<br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/larryfirebird33\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.sounddomain.com/id/larryfirebird33</a><br />borla cat-back, FTRA, whisper lid

Comment

How much are you getting the 8W7 for?
      Red 96' A4 Firebird
      Audio Audio and Autotek
      Check it out here!

Comment

the 8w7 is 287, which is twice as much as the ED. what i want 8" subs for is so i can fit them in the car and not the trunk. i will be building a pannel between the front seats that goes back to the back of the rear seats which will be split when i am finished. i had 10" subs in the trunk before but when i put the top down, i have a vert, it closes the sound off completly. im trying to decide on 1 or 2 8" subs. i really dont want it that loud i just want to hit down to around 30hz. i know they 8's will not hit a hard or low but i can live with that. i just need to know what each sub has going for it.
        2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

off topic, larry, i see that you have the eclipse 8443. im lookin into that HU for an upgrade, how do you like it.

Comment

30Hz from an eight? I think you'll be deep into the rolloff no matter which driver you choose. I hope I'm wrong, but I think you're going to be a bit disappointed when you have it all installed.

If I had to choose though, I'd go with the 8A.44. It's going for $145 right now. The dollar difference is just way too much to justify.
            ╓<br />║ Matt M<br />║ <a href=\"http://home.austin.rr.com/morrism/3800/sunset_logo2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Down with the Sixxness</a> <br />║ Polo Green 1995 3.8 Camaro<br />║ intake, cat, catback, shocks, 3.42\'s, and 12\'s in the trunk<br />╙

Comment

is the 8w7 really a 3 Ohm driver?
              ╓<br />║ Matt M<br />║ <a href=\"http://home.austin.rr.com/morrism/3800/sunset_logo2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Down with the Sixxness</a> <br />║ Polo Green 1995 3.8 Camaro<br />║ intake, cat, catback, shocks, 3.42\'s, and 12\'s in the trunk<br />╙

Comment

Originally posted by user1101:
                is the 8w7 really a 3 Ohm driver?
                Yes 3 ohm SVC.
                \'93 Red 3.4L Camaro<br />Engine: Jet II, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK, Accel Wires, Iridium Plugs, Flowmaster, ASP U/D, 180 Thermo, much more...<br /><br />\'98 Z28 Vert Triple Black A4 Stock for now<br />34000 Miles<br /><br />Not enough room in the sig for my stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by user1101:
                  30Hz from an eight? I think you'll be deep into the rolloff no matter which driver you choose. I hope I'm wrong, but I think you're going to be a bit disappointed when you have it all installed.

If I had to choose though, I'd go with the 8A.44. It's going for $145 right now. The dollar difference is just way too much to justify.
                  I agree 100% with both statements.
                  Red 96' A4 Firebird
                  Audio Audio and Autotek
                  Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311:
                    I agree 100% with both statements.
                    That shows what a smart guy you are. ;)

What's up with the new avatar? It looks all mucky. I can't tell what it is.

Comment

ED's website states that in the ported enclosure the 8 hits like 32hz. if thats not true let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Punk:
                        ED's website states that in the ported enclosure the 8 hits like 32hz. if thats not true let me know.
                        I didn't say you couldn't reproduce a 30Hz signal. I said that it would be in the rolloff. You'll be well into the shoulder of your power spectrum curve.

Did ED's website say how many dB's down they were at 30Hz? Did they specify the dimensions of the enclosure? Are you confident that you can produce an enclosure with equal or better sonic properties than the engineers at ED? Have you seen any numbers outside of the manufacturer's web site? A manufacturer's web site is not usually the best place to look for nominal performance numbers.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by user1101:
                          Originally posted by 96firebird311:
                          [qb] What's up with the new avatar? It looks all mucky. I can't tell what it is.
                          Yeah, for some reason it won't take any avatars with motion in them. Although I see people with them..... I don't know. And where the hell can I host pics and use them without the site's name across the bottom? I think webshots does that too. :mad:
                          Red 96' A4 Firebird
                          Audio Audio and Autotek
                          Check it out here!

Comment

I can host the picture for you... e-mail me
                            <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

there werent any db ratings there, thats what i need you guys for. And yes i am very capable of making any enclosure (i have like 5 very custom boxes under my belt and 7 not so custom). i know there will be some role off, i mean it is just an eight it is pretty limited but so is my space. but from what everyone has told me the ED is the better choice. now all i need to decide is if i should get 1 or two. Now if anyone can tell me how to fit a 10" sub in the car without removing seats or taking all the leg room away then please let me know. Until then 8's it is.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X