sub problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sub problem

so today i was drilling one of my subs back into the box because i had to rewire it and the damn drill slipped and put a hole in the rubber edge... i know the sub is ruined now so im waiting till i get some money so i can buy some new ones, these were old anyway so i was planning on new ones anyway, but i love having my bass and i was wondering if anyone knows a ghetto way to plug the hole. my friend told me that caucking should work but if anyone else has a suggestion thatd be awsome.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cops_suck\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 3.8L Camaro M5 </a>

are you talking about the surround?? If so It wont totally ruin it. I know a guy with 2 10w3's, and one of his subs has a hole in the surround. Its not even noticeable.
    1999 Pontiac Firebird 5-speed<br />Kenwood KDC-MP425<br />Hifonics BX1500D<br />2 Audiobahn AW1200Q\'s 4.5cf@38hz

Comment

Anything flexable would prob work. I was thinking maybe you could use black 100% silicone like they sell at Lowes or Home Depot.
      2006 Tiburon

Comment

black silicone is a good temporary fix but you should look into a surround repair kit. you can fix the sub.
        2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

If a small tear or hole, just flip the sub over on it's face, and smear a little dab of silicone glue (or other handy glue, not super glue here though) on the rear side of the cone and realign the tear.

Let it cure for a few hours in open air, (room temperature)then carefully reinstall the sub. Pre-drilling the screw holes with a small pilot hole is best.

If you have a large tear or hole, may need to add some patching material (masking tape or cloth tape) to reconstruct the tear, then add some wood glue, over the tape and let dry. A hair dryer will help to set the glue quickly, then air dry for several hours, before installing the sub. If the damage is very severe, then a recone or new surround is recommended, if not dumping the sub, and getting a new one.

Recones are not cheap! If a replacement sub costs less than ~$80.00, go for that route. However, if you have a very expensive sub, or have a matched set, then a recone makes sense. Figure about $60-80.00 for a recone plus S&H and allow 2-3 weeks for the repair and return. Best to have the factory do this one... to insure it is up to factory specs when the recone is completed.

If you need new surrounds only, they can de sent out or order your own kit, and perform the work yourself. New surround kits are about $30.00 for a pair of subs. Just make sure you get a surround that matches your present ones.

Comment

yea the hole is in the surround. well thats a good thing then that it is fixable. i will order a new surround and have my friend who does a lot of stereo stuff fix it. unless i come across a good deal on some new subs since the ones i have are the old school kickers.
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cops_suck\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 3.8L Camaro M5 </a>

Comment

I used liquid electrical tape for one of my mtx subs.. Cant even tell by looks or sound, and i cant even try to rip it!
              Mystic Teal Metallic
              ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X