yet again another question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet again another question

what gauge wire can i use to connect my amp to my sub, does it matter? I got the 4 gauge for power and ground, does that determine maybe a certain gauge for the sub?? i dunno??
    2001 A4 Firebird<br />W68 package, 3.42s<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/firebirdguy225\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

To answer all of you questions to the best of my limited knowledge:

I ran a 4 ga. wire from the distribution block (the red auxiliary one by the battery) to my amps' distributor block. The distributor block for my amp that splits the 4 ga into two 8 ga wires for each amp. One is a 75x2 and the other is a 50x4 and I haven't had any power supply troubles.

I ran 12 ga wires from my bridged 2 channel amp to my 12 in sub. It sounds and performs to my expectations.

Hope this helps.
    95 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Bosch plugs/MSD wires, K&N FIPK , Magnaflow catback, hi-flo cat, B&M Shift+, Dee\'s spacer<br />Kenwood KDX-859, eXcelon Amps, Infinity Kappa 3-way doors and Perfect10 sub<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/harbins95\" target=\"_blank\">Behold, the raw fury that is known as the 3.4!!!</a>

Comment

cool thanks
      2001 A4 Firebird<br />W68 package, 3.42s<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/firebirdguy225\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Harbin1:

I ran 12 ga wires from my bridged 2 channel amp to my 12 in sub. It sounds and performs to my expectations.
        <hr></blockquote>Just FYI. 12AWG speaker wire is WAYYYYYYYY overkill for your needs. You could EASILY get away with 16AWG. You could probably run 2,500Watts on 12AWG!!!! I'm not kidding.
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

It's what I had laying around. Now that I think about it, I probably ran something more like 14 or so. They weren't as big as a 12 ga. I only needed a couple of feet anyway. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
          95 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Bosch plugs/MSD wires, K&N FIPK , Magnaflow catback, hi-flo cat, B&M Shift+, Dee\'s spacer<br />Kenwood KDX-859, eXcelon Amps, Infinity Kappa 3-way doors and Perfect10 sub<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/harbins95\" target=\"_blank\">Behold, the raw fury that is known as the 3.4!!!</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 96firebird311:
            Just FYI. 12AWG speaker wire is WAYYYYYYYY overkill for your needs. You could EASILY get away with 16AWG. You could probably run 2,500Watts on 12AWG!!!! I'm not kidding.<hr></blockquote>

um...yeah 12 gauge sucks, and 16 is even worse. I wouldnt use either unless...well i just wouldnt... Generally speaking I use 10awg for component speakers and usually anywhere from 0-4wag to the amps, depending on how power I am running. I have a chart somewhere that has all the formulas for amperage through the gauge of wire. When I go to work tomorrow I'll post it.
            1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RSFireDog:
              um...yeah 12 gauge sucks, and 16 is even worse. I wouldnt use either unless...well i just wouldnt... Generally speaking I use 10awg for component speakers and usually anywhere from 0-4wag to the amps, depending on how power I am running. I have a chart somewhere that has all the formulas for amperage through the gauge of wire. When I go to work tomorrow I'll post it.<hr></blockquote>

We are talking speaker wire here. You know that right? You saying you use 10AWG for speaker wire? You could probably run damn near 5k watts through that!
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X