Installing my amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing my amp

Where is a good place to mount my amp, right on that little hump behind the backseat?? If so is it ok to screw it in without having to worry about hitting anything beneath the sheet metal?? Also how hard was it to hide the wiring going to the hu and stuff, how do u take the trim off to pull up the carpet?? i guess thats all the questions i have for right now :D
    2001 A4 Firebird<br />W68 package, 3.42s<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/firebirdguy225\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

DO NOT drill through the area behind the back seat!!! You will hit the gas tank!! That shelf area is a popular place for amps. The only problem is that they will be very visable from the outside. If you live in a high crime area, I wouldn't recommend mounting your amps there. If you do decide to, lift up the carpet from the rear. Use small bolts and nuts to secure them to the carpet only. Removing the paneling is easy. Just remove the screws in that long thin panel next to both the driver and passenger seats. To remove the paneling next to the rear seats, you will need to remove the coat hangers. Stick a screwdriver in little slit and wedge out the square center piece. It's kinda hard to get out. Once you can grab ahold of it, use pliers or something and pull straight out. I think that's the only thing holding in those panels. You might have to unscrew the long thin panel on the roof.... can't remember. Once you have those two panels off, you can run your wires. But it's even easier if you take out the seats. The front seats have one bolt on each corner and the rears have 1 bolt holding in the actual seat part and 2 bolts for the back part. You'll see them, they are easy. Just get in there and try it. It's very easy. If you need any more help, just ask! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

thanks for all the help, i might try mounting my amp under my front passenger seat, if i have enough room, my friend did it i like how the amp is then hidden away
      2001 A4 Firebird<br />W68 package, 3.42s<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/firebirdguy225\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

well i dont know if anyone will like my idea but, me and my dad are currently putting an amp in my car and we are taking velcro (we had a big *** roll of velcro from something) and putting the hard plastic (hooked) side stickin to the bottom of the amp and just sticking it to the carpet of the trunk area
        White 1992 3.1L V6 firebird<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/ssj_trunks\" target=\"_blank\">Here she is</a><br />----------------------------------

Comment

Ummm, It is okay to drill through the hump, there is a 1'' space between the metal, metal tank. Look in my sig on the second page of my camaro! Use a very tiny drill bit though! Better yet dont do it.!

Comment

this is what i did...

i took out my spare, and built a little shelf in that area, then i mounted my amp to it. And u couldnt pry it out with a crowbar if u tried. Thats becuase theres little room to work with.

Also DONT just use regular screws,use allen screws and all diffrent kinds, on my amp i used 4 diffrent sizes and type of skrews, so it would take a theif and a hand full of tools to get that puppy out of there.
            My car has GPS trackin\',traffic alert,its own phone #,PS2,screens. And What da H3ll,When I Turn da key it says \"You\'ve got mail\"..... <br />I swear and promise.. I\'ve had more cars then Charlie Thomas.. bounces in a Monte\' that hopped.. Pimped old skoo Blazer on Chopz, Today Its a Camaro at all da plya spots.

Comment

Don't do it.

The velcro idea isn't bad. It makes it very convenient for a theif to remove it if nothing else. I have seen worse and that should hold it pretty well, I would suggest getting some 3/4 inch MDF and cutting that to the size of the hump and screwing the amp to the board. You could also try finding a different place to mount it, but the hump is not a bad idea at all, just don't screw to that metal. The gas tank is directly below it. It's an expensive and all too common mistake.
              Mike<br />\'99 Z28 LS1 (383 in the works) M6<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/\" target=\"_blank\">stereo pics</a> Almost sold, the amps are still for sale - make an offer.<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/paypal.html\" target=\"_blank\">Help Mike pay for his engine. Every dollar helps!</a>

Comment

i have my amp under my passanger seat. it fits perfect. i grounded it out on the one of the seat screws and it works fine. it has enough circulation because i travel a lot back and forth like 4 hr trips and it never shuts off like there supposed to when it gets hot. with the wires i ran the speaker wire from under the seat through where the console meets the seat and the power wire and through the side hidden under the door seal going to the battery. it came out real nice!
                98 Camaro V6

Comment

I have mine on the "shelf" area behide the back seat. But just secure them to the carpet only. The carpet is thick as hell. I used bolts and nuts to secure them good. It will still take a thief a LONG a$$ time to get them out.
                  Red 96' A4 Firebird
                  Audio Audio and Autotek
                  Check it out here!

Comment

Put a piece of mdf under the carpet, secure that to the metal of the car useing the eye hook bolts, and screw the amp into the mdf.

zack

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by naptown:
                      Ummm, It is okay to drill through the hump, there is a 1'' space between the metal, metal tank. <hr></blockquote>
                      Says here there is only a 1/2" to 1/4" space and what's more..... the tank is made of plastic!
                      Red 96' A4 Firebird
                      Audio Audio and Autotek
                      Check it out here!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 96firebird311:

Says here there is only a 1/2" to 1/4" space and what's more..... the tank is made of plastic!
                        <hr></blockquote>

The tank is plastic however there is an outer shell of metal.

Comment

Nevermind what the rest of us say.... If DJ says don't do it, don't do it, he's the fbody guy. He's had his apart for stereos even more than I have. He knows these cars.
                          Mike<br />\'99 Z28 LS1 (383 in the works) M6<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/\" target=\"_blank\">stereo pics</a> Almost sold, the amps are still for sale - make an offer.<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/paypal.html\" target=\"_blank\">Help Mike pay for his engine. Every dollar helps!</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X