• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Wiring - Confused??

Ok... Whats the difference between the following sub wiring:

Parallel to Parallel
    Series to Parallel or
    series to series

Which of these 3 are the best for wiring subs? My subs are capible of 3.5ohm and my amps can go 2ohm stable.

According to the Audiobahn website, there is no difference in wiring, when you wire parallel to parallel for both 2ohm and 4ohm (both are exactly the same wiring).

Currently I have the amps wired at 4ohm (2ohm&gt ;) at Parallel to Parallel.
    [*]<b>Car: </b>1991 CHEVY CAMARO RS<br />[*]<b>Engine: </b> 3.1lt (191ci) V6 - MPFI<br />[*]<b>Stereo: </b> Alpine 7995 H/U | Eclipse 21000 EQ | BOSS IQ 3000w Amp | Crossfire AB 400watt Amp | 3 AudioBahn 12\" D/V Subs | Planet Audio 4x6\'s & 6x9\'s

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DigitalBee:
    Ok... Whats the difference between the following sub wiring:

Parallel to Parallel
    Series to Parallel or
    series to series

<hr></blockquote>

When you hear these terms used, it referes to having multiple (usually a pair) of DVC subs wired together.

So first of all, if you have two DVC subs, what you do is wire each sub so that the two coils are connected in either series or parallel. You must decide--depending on the final load you want to ahieve.

To achieve parallel, its + to + and - to -. Series is a little more involved and varies depending on the manufacturer. But typically it's + to - and + to -. Again, check you sub's specs to make sure you have the coils hooked up correct.

Hint. Think of series wiring like you're loading batteries in a flashight. Take double A batteries for example. As you load each 1.5volt battery, you basically stack (one on top of the other) so the + terminal from the lower batter contacts the - terminal from the top battery. Doing so increases the voltage. In other words, you add them up. 1.5v+1.5v=3volts.

Impedence works the same way. If the coils are 4ohm coils wired in series, you get an 8ohm load per sub(4+4=8). Now if you wire them in parallel you get 2ohms. When wiring parallel, you divide the coils resistance by the number of coils connected. So 4/2=2

So that's the first step. The second step is to wire the two subs together to complete the circuit.

For Parallel/Parallel, (easiest) basically connect all + to + and all - to -

For series/Parallel, First of all, each sub must have it's coils wired in series. Then what I do is think of this new configuration as a sub with a new impedence. So if the coils are dual 4ohm. Each sub's final impedence would be 8ohms. In other words, this is like having two 8ohm subs. Then you wire the two subs in parallel for a final 4ohm load (8/2=4). This is how my solobarics are wired.

For series/series, I have never seen it done because the final impedence gets so high that there is no point in doing it. Even 2ohm DVC's would have a total load of 8ohms and who's gonna do that?

I know I confused the heck outta ya, but you'll get the hang of it. Just remeber series=add Parallel=divide.

:D

Comment

Ok, I think I understand what you said. But, I have one quesiton. Which is the best wiring for my subs to achieve the loudest, cleanest bass? I currently have 2 Audiobahn 1251Q DVC Subwoofers and I have them wired in Parallel to Parallel.

Also, according to the Audiobahn tech website, the wiring diagram for Dual 2ohm and Dual 4ohm (in Parallel to Parallel) are exactly the same. So what determins which ohm load you actually get?

Thanks,
      [*]<b>Car: </b>1991 CHEVY CAMARO RS<br />[*]<b>Engine: </b> 3.1lt (191ci) V6 - MPFI<br />[*]<b>Stereo: </b> Alpine 7995 H/U | Eclipse 21000 EQ | BOSS IQ 3000w Amp | Crossfire AB 400watt Amp | 3 AudioBahn 12\" D/V Subs | Planet Audio 4x6\'s & 6x9\'s

Comment

What determines the final load is the impedence of the coils being used. Sure, you can wire 4ohm DVCs exactly the same way (Parallel/Parallel) as 2ohm DVCs. But you will get different impedences. Think of this as one BIG math problem okay. If you have different numbers in the question, you get different answers--right?

First. let's take a a pair of 4ohm dvc subs wired parallel/parallel. Each sub by itself has a final load of 2ohms. Then when you wire the two subs together in parallel, you get a 1ohm total load. This results in max power as long as your amp can handle that low of a load. Most cannot.

If you had a pair of 2ohm dvc subs wired parallel/parallel, you'd fry your amp in 2 seconds because the final impedence is .5ohms. I don't know of an amp that would do that.

What do you mean by this "My subs are capible of 3.5ohm and my amps can go 2ohm stable."?

Coils have one rating. It's really an average, but it's usuall 2,4,6 or 8ohms. Subs are not 2ohm stable...Amps are 2ohm stable. And there's no way you have a 4ohm impedence if you have your subs wired parallel/parallel--unless your sub's coils are all 16ohms and I doubt that they are.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DigitalBee:
          Ok, I think I understand what you said. But, I have one quesiton. Which is the best wiring for my subs to achieve the loudest, cleanest bass? I currently have 2 Audiobahn 1251Q DVC Subwoofers and I have them wired in Parallel to Parallel.

Also, according to the Audiobahn tech website, the wiring diagram for Dual 2ohm and Dual 4ohm (in Parallel to Parallel) are exactly the same. So what determins which ohm load you actually get?

Thanks,
          <hr></blockquote>

Are you using a single or multi channel amp?

Dual 4 ohm subs in parrallel will get you 2 ohms each sub, and dual 2 ohm subs will get you 1 ohm each sub.

The ohmic value for each coil, and the way they are wired up determines the ohmic value you actually get.

To achieve the loudest bass, you are probably going to want to go with hooking everything up with parallel (that is to say if your amp can hadle it) I cant guarantee that it will be clear though. Just play around with it until you find what you like. If your current setup is too much for you then consider a different hook up.

Depending on what your amp can handle you have a crap load of possibilities. Give more specs on your amp and we can probably help you out.
          1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by megabass:
            What determines the final load is the impedence of the coils being used. Sure, you can wire 4ohm DVCs exactly the same way (Parallel/Parallel) as 2ohm DVCs. But you will get different impedences. Think of this as one BIG math problem okay. If you have different numbers in the question, you get different answers--right?

First. let's take a a pair of 4ohm dvc subs wired parallel/parallel. Each sub by itself has a final load of 2ohms. Then when you wire the two subs together in parallel, you get a 1ohm total load. This results in max power as long as your amp can handle that low of a load. Most cannot...
            <hr></blockquote>

damn, you posted while I was typing..
            1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

Ok, I understand now... But

My amp is an Interfire 900w 2-Channel (IB2900)

http://www.interfireaudio.com/products_ampli_ib.htm

... and I have the Audiobahn 1251Q Subwoofers.

So, if someone could give me a better understanding of what my system is capable of, that would be awesome. [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]

Comment

That website says your amp does 450Wx2 or 450x1 bridged...... which is kinda odd. Normally, you would want to wire each woofers voice coils in series and then wire the woofers together in parallel. This will give you a final impedence of 4 ohms nominal. Then bridge the amp into a single channel. This should give you 900Wx1..... but the website says otherwise....
                Red 96' A4 Firebird
                Audio Audio and Autotek
                Check it out here!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RSFireDog:

damn, you posted while I was typing..
                  <hr></blockquote>

Oh sorry
                  :D

BUT, since we are now talking a 2 channel amp. Why not just run one channel to each sub? That would eliminate some of the complexity.

And, since you're amp doesn't gain any power by bridging it (which I agree is weird), then why do it that way? The whole purpose of bridging is to achieve power output.

So just wire each sub in parallel per amp channel and be done with it. You'll get the 2ohm power rating at each sub and that should be plenty as long as your amp is 2ohm stable. JMO

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by megabass:

And, since you're amp doesn't gain any power by bridging it (which I agree is weird), then why do it that way? The whole purpose of bridging is to achieve power output.
                    <hr></blockquote>

The reason I recommended the configuration I did was because I'm assuming the website is incorrect. Power should double when the amp is bridged. And the reason I recommended bridging vs. just wiring each sub to each channel, is because it's always best to run subwoofers in mono. If the website is indeed correct then use Megabass's config.
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X