Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring diagrahm of an amp?

anyone have a uick link to one?

I am pretty decent with car wiring, msot stereo connections, and what not, just I never really looked at an amp.

I am pretty sure I have a basic idea, jsut want to see something to make sure I am on the right track.

I am assuming regular stereo red/white, wire from head unit to amp, amp will have speaker wire outputs depending on the model I get(4 channel will have 4 wire ports)

Also mai power source fro battery connection, and I am assuming a ground. And usually a good idea to run an inline fuse form the battery cable wire.

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/amp_pdfs.html

They have a bunch of mock setups there. The only they dont show is the ground and power wires. Make sure they are thick enough wires to pass the current that you are using. As far as the inline fuse goes, you want that as close to the battery as possible.
    1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
      I am assuming regular stereo red/white, wire from head unit to amp, amp will have speaker wire outputs depending on the model I get(4 channel will have 4 wire ports)
      Also mai power source fro battery connection, and I am assuming a ground. And usually a good idea to run an inline fuse form the battery cable wire.
      <hr></blockquote>
      Sounds like you pretty much have it. Once you get in there, you will see that's pretty self-explanatory.

As you already know, you will need a power source. Both positive and negative, of course. As RSFiredog already said make sure you use the correct gauge wire for the size amp. And don't forget the fuse!!! The size of the fuse should be equal to the amp's fuse size or max current draw. (check owners book if all else fails) This site should help.
      Now that you've got power to the amp. You need a music signal! That's where RCA's come in. Run a pair of RCA's from the CD player to the inputs on the amp. If you are using a 4-channel amp, then you will need two pair. Make sure you run the RCAs and power wire on oppisite sides of the vehicle to prevent any induced noise. What? Your CD player doesn't have RCA outputs? Well, that no problem! You will either need to by an amp that accepts "line level inputs" or you will need a "line output converter" (LOC). The LOC will change those regular + and - speaker wires from the CD player into RCA's!
      Now, you have power and a signal. What's left? Well, you need something to tell the amp to turn-on and off. This is called the remote turn-on lead. It's a small thin wire (commonly blue) that runs from the CD player to the remote input on the amp. It justs tells the amp to turn on when the CD player is on, and turn off when you turn off the CD player.
      Now you are all set to power some speakers! A 4-channel amp will have 4 SETS of + and - outputs. I'm sure you know what to do with them. When you first power up your new amp, make sure the gain is set all the way counter-clock wise. (Or all the way down) The gain knob tells the amp how much to amplifiy the input signal. You are suppose to match the gain setting to the voltage output of your CD player. Example: CD player A has 3 sets of 4V RCAs. You would want to set the gain knob to 4V. If you set it above 4V, (5V, 6V, 7V) you will not be getting full unclipped power from the amp. If you set the knob lower then 4V (3V, 2V, 1V, .5V) you will send the amp into clipping and run a risk of distroying your speakers. If your particular amp does not have any markings on the gain knob (like if it just says min. and max.) check the owners book to see what the min. and max. input volatges are.

Once you pick a particular amp, I can help you more. If you have any further questions or would like me to explain anything in further detail, just ask!
      [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Red 96' A4 Firebird
      Audio Audio and Autotek
      Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X