Mounting amp near spare tire - Good idea? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting amp near spare tire - Good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting amp near spare tire - Good idea?

My amp is pretty big (19 inches long) and I'd like to mount it behind the plastic in the right rear corner of the car by the spare tire. I can get it to fit, but there isn't all that much air behind there. There is about 2 inches of clearance between the plastic panel and the amp and the other side of the amp butts against the tire.

The amp runs 4 channels @ 2 ohms at 55w rms x 4 and 200w rms @ 4 ohms. I can get the amp to fit, my only concern is overheating or a fire. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea?
    2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

That is where my amp is mounted. It's got twice the power yours has, and I have no poblem overheating. There is plenty of airspace in that area, there is a hole at the bottm of the well that allows outside air to get in. It should be fine!
    <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Comment

Really? How does outside air get into there? If it gets too hard, what will happen to my amp, will it shut itself off? Can it catch on fire? Is there any way to tell when the amp is too hot, ie distortion or something?
      2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Really? How does outside air get into there? <hr></blockquote>

There is a small hole at the bottom of the spare tire well, don't know why it's there. It does let enough air in there to keep it cool.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> If it gets too hard, what will happen to my amp, will it shut itself off? Can it catch on fire?<hr></blockquote>

What brand of amp are you running? Most amps will simply cut out, or turn themselves off if they get too hot. I don't think it will catch on fire or anything.

An easy way to tell if it's getting too hot would be to mount it there, then cruise around with it at FULL volume. Then park and immediately get out and check to see if its hot or not. If it's too hot to touch (i.e. it burns to touch it), then mount it somewhere else. However, I doubt that you will have any problems with overheating there, you're not pushin enough power to get it that hot.

Hope that helps ya out man!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
        <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Comment

Its a Kicker Impulse IX-405D

Can you see this hole from the outside of the car?

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: BigED ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> ]Can you see this hole from the outside of the car?<hr></blockquote>

Yes you can, just look behind the rear passenger side tire. There it is, just look straight up. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

It's big enough to let heat out, and cold air in.

Comment

What amp are you using? I have found that some amps have built in fans such as Audio Bahn and Cadence, just to think of a few.... And like the Rev. said, the spare cargo area will breathe plenty enough to run an amp inside. We install alot of amps in that space because alot of people do not want to use up their rear cargo floor for amps. Also too, you can install them on the rear wall if you like, however, don't use to long of a self tapping screw that you pierce to deep. My amp rack is installed on the cargo floor but I chose that area because my nitrous bottle is installed in the spare tire area.... Hope I don't get a flat, [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] I'd be in trouble...

www.trafficjamzcaraudio.com... look us up... ;)
              \'97 Red Camaro V6 3.8<br />I love my bottle baby! She\'s a labor of love with lots of goodies.<br />Best Time: 1/8 9.0, 60ft 2.197<br />You go girl!

Comment

I mentioned it above. It doesn't have a fan though.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BigED:
                  Can you see this hole from the outside of the car?<hr></blockquote>
                  I THINK, I THINK it's for drainage of water that comes through the antenna. Some antennas come with a small drain tube that you can plug in there. I THINK now, don't get me wrong.
                  Red 96' A4 Firebird
                  Audio Audio and Autotek
                  Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X